advertisement

"Standard" MM cartridge around £100?

PaulMB

pfm Member
I've had a Shure M97 for many years and now have also an M75 picked up with an old Lenco at a flea market. I went down to the local family-run electronics shop and got a new stylus for the latter, made by "Gamma."

When I was starting out Shure was the be-all and end-all in cartridges.

SO my question:

What is a good, standard-issue MM cartridge today? Nothing exotic that I'll never find another stylus for, but something common all over the world? To be used on a 3009 /II improved.

Also, is there a good brand for replacement stili (if that's the plural of stylus)?

Thanks for any ideas,

Paul

I like the Shure M97xE. There isn't much to beat it at the price I don't think. There's a full range of Grados from 50 quid upwards. I've had a couple of cheap Grados and I enjoyed them. Not as much as the Shure though :)

The Denon DL110 high output MC cart that should work on a MM input and seems very popular.

I can never remember if the DL103 or DL110 is the good one though. I know Rob always says one is good, and one not so good.

I was going to mention the DL110 but at 140/150 quid now it's well over budget. No user replaceable stylus either.

Thanks for all your suggestions, will now reflect on what to do. I'd been thinking of an Ortofon 2M red, but I see there are many other possibilities these days.

Thank you again,

Paul

2nd Mister 6 and Have Fun: check out the Jico stylus, there’s no major surgery involved and if you don’t like it you can always sell it for near enough the same price as purchase.
K.

Audio Technica 440MLa. Gone up in price a bit lately, is that still in budget? Tis a very good cart, excellent tracking, decent sound, if tiny bit on bright side.

advertisement

Back