advertisement

Stand-mount suggestions please - up to £600ish

Hcanning

pfm Member
Hi all,

We've just bought a house, and my other half is happy with me turning one of the spare rooms into a home cinema / listening room - something I've dreamt of for a while!

This means I will need to set up a little 2ch system in the lounge for music and TV audio. And I love an excuse to buy new stuff and try new equipment.

I've been trying to decide what speakers to choose for this. Amp-wise I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a second hand Arcam or Meridian integrated.

My budget for the speakers is ideally no more than £600ish and I'd like something that doesn't have too much of a laid-back sound. They need to be stand-mounters and ideally not on the larger side of stand-mount size. I don't mind either second-hand or brand new. Nice wood veneer finish only - I don't want a black or single-colour finish.

They will be placed up against the longest wall, but not near the side walls.

I've had a few in mind, namely: Monitor Audio Silver 100, Kef R300 (second hand), Wharfedale Reva 2 (I have some Diamond 220s for my office system and they're better than they have any right to be).

Anyone got any suggestions of good all-rounders that I may not have thought of?

Thanks!

Impossible to say what you'll like - are you worried about placement - front or rear port?

Look out for ex dem/used Monitor Audio GX50, they have some nice finishes available like Piano Ebony. ProAcs on solid stands like Target R are really good and have nice finishes available too. There's a lot of gloss black/white options but real wood veneer on budget narrows it down a bit.

There's a guy on AVForums selling his Arcam A85/P80. Nowt to do with me, was tempted to revisit the A85.

Gus

Look out for ex dem/used Monitor Audio GX50, they have some nice finishes available like Piano Ebony.
Gus

These are cracking little speakers and fantastic vfm!!! Not sure I'd go Meridian with them, but maybe an Arcam A38 which think was a much underrated amp and hence often go cheap.

Also, might be worth seeking out a pair of Spendor SA1 (in Zebrano finish maybe) another excellent small speaker that seems to have been forgotten about.

Hi all,

We've just bought a house, and my other half is happy with me turning one of the spare rooms into a home cinema / listening room - something I've dreamt of for a while!

This means I will need to set up a little 2ch system in the lounge for music and TV audio. And I love an excuse to buy new stuff and try new equipment.

I've been trying to decide what speakers to choose for this. Amp-wise I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a second hand Arcam or Meridian integrated.

My budget for the speakers is ideally no more than £600ish and I'd like something that doesn't have too much of a laid-back sound. They need to be stand-mounters and ideally not on the larger side of stand-mount size. I don't mind either second-hand or brand new. Nice wood veneer finish only - I don't want a black or single-colour finish.

They will be placed up against the longest wall, but not near the side walls.

I've had a few in mind, namely: Monitor Audio Silver 100, Kef R300 (second hand), Wharfedale Reva 2 (I have some Diamond 220s for my office system and they're better than they have any right to be).

Anyone got any suggestions of good all-rounders that I may not have thought of?

Thanks!
Dynaudio Emit 10 or 20 might fit your needs nicely.

advertisement

Back