advertisement

Stain for Loudspeaker Cabinets.......

Isobarik

pfm Member
I want to re-stain the sides of my loudspeakers (Isobariks) as they have a few marks...Can anyone recommend a good quality brand that actuall does what it says on the tin? The loudspeakers are finished in black ash........

Regards to all
Iso.

Originally posted by Isobarik
I want to re-stain the sides of my loudspeakers (Isobariks) as they have a few marks...Can anyone recommend a good quality brand that actuall does what it says on the tin? The loudspeakers are finished in black ash.........

Black finishes on speakers are unfortunately sprayed black paint.

Hence a real pig to deal with unless you have the facilities...

The simple solution if the scratches are small is to use a black pen preferably waterproof.

Mark

Originally posted by MarkS
The simple solution if the scratches are small is to use a black pen preferably waterproof
I've used a waterproof black magic marker, or perhaps that should be a black waterproof magic marker on an ex dem pair of Tukans that had seen far better days. You'd never guess to look at them. Try it first. If you don't like it you can spray them - I believe beige is in vogue at the moment. :D

Mick

Thanks Mark

I think I should elaborate a little.......i'll try and be brief.......I bought my Isobariks from a guy in Kent, he told me the loudspeakers were finished in black ash.....anyway I bought them, when they arrived I found out that they had been stained black?(I later found out that they were originally finished in Teak ). I must confess that who ever had done the job knew a little on what he was doing except for the four cabinet side panels which needed another coat of stain as you can still see the the faint teak finish when the speakers are illuminated....... hence my question!

And yes I know I should have looked at the speakers before I bought them but ............ that's another story!
The sound from these freaks isn't that bad either!!

Regards Iso

Originally posted by Mick Seymour
I've used a waterproof black magic marker, or perhaps that should be a black waterproof magic marker on an ex dem pair of Tukans that had seen far better days. You'd never guess to look at them. Try it first. If you don't like it you can spray them - I believe beige is in vogue at the moment. :D

Mick
Mick........I'll need at least two hundred marker pens to touch my briks up.........:D

Iso

Originally posted by Isobarik
Thanks Mark

I think I should elaborate a little.......i'll try and be brief.......I bought my Isobariks from a guy in Kent, he told me the loudspeakers were finished in black ash.....anyway I bought them, when they arrived I found out that they had been stained black?(I later found out that they were originally finished in Teak ). I must confess that who ever had done the job knew a little on what he was doing except for the four cabinet side panels which needed another coat of stain as you can still see the the faint teak finish when the speakers are illuminated....... hence my question!

Go to www.axminster.co.uk and check out their wood stains.

Mark

My Bariks were covered in a dark varnish, remedy was to rub them down with wire wool and apply Danish oil.

In your case I would take the dark finish off with wire wool.
The dye may not have gone too deep and see what colour you can get them to.
Then if you like the colour, oil them not stain or if you dont like the colour then try black woodstain then oil them.
You may be suprised at the colour and graining after a good rub down with wire wool.

Always rub with the grain though to avoid scratching.

dogrun.gif

Originally posted by john & Jake
My Bariks were covered in a dark varnish, remedy was to rub them down with wire wool and apply Danish oil.

In your case I would take the dark finish off with wire wool.
The dye may not have gone too deep and see what colour you can get them to.
Then if you like the colour, oil them not stain or if you dont like the colour then try black woodstain then oil them.
You may be suprised at the colour and graining after a good rub down with wire wool.

Always rub with the grain though to avoid scratching.

dogrun.gif
Cheers John
I'll give it a go ..I only have 4 sides to do as the remaining sides
look fine. I don't suppose you know where I can obtain some doping compound for the B139s do you?
Regards Iso

hi,
the B139's (bass units) are standard except for liberal coatings of a black car underseal like substance on the legs of the chassis, not visible from outside the cabinet.
This will be to damp resonances.
The cones are not altered.

New mids came from Kef undoped.

In the Isobarik the mid units are doped and I find a suitable product is a good PVA glue.
the unit is layed down facing up and brushed with a slightly watered down glue from the outside to the centre.
A thickness is standard around the dustcap. The thin coat on the cone dries clear but the thicker coat around the dust cap remains a little whiteish.

dogrun.gif

advertisement

Back