advertisement

[FS] Stacked pairs of Quad ESL57 on stands

stevec67

pfm Member
It's a sad day but the time has come after 14 years. These speakers have been great, they never fail to deliver the wow factor. However I now have big cabinet speakers, time for a change.
In black, custom steel stands on castors. One pair serial 38***, Bulgin power leads. One pair 45xxx, IEC sockets, with a Quad rebuild sticker dated 1987. Bought from Fanthorpes in Hull 2009, other history unknown. Great working order, no crackles or buzzes, sound great. Good cosmetic condition. £1000 collected from Leeds LS 28. You'll need a van or large car to transport whole or to unscrew them from the stands for later reassembly if you want to put them in a normal car. I will not ship these, I have no boxes. Collection only.

Photos taken, not great to be fair but a start. As I say I need an actual email address to send them to, so PM me this if anyone wants the photos I have so far.

Here are the pics :)

V19Mk8Y.jpg

yAkGdoT.jpg

k8xESkY.jpg

fa3lmym.jpg

M0CRBap.jpg

dKcIA2R.jpg

Thanks Rugdoc, I'm not David Bailey but it shows them well enough. More detailed photos available on request.

Thanks, Steve, they are fabulous.
Thanks! I've thought they were pretty bloody fantastic too, for the 14 years I've had them. But I've got cabinet speakers now and it's time for them to move on.I

Edit - you will have worked out that they are bloody huge and a total PITA to live with. Then you play music, and they just murder everything else and leave it bleeding. There's a reason why I've kept them for 14 years, for 5 of those I had to move the speaker every time I wanted to watch the telly. But it was worth it.

I’d love to get them past the wife, but I don’t think I’d manage.

How far into the room do they need to be?

Thanks! I've thought they were pretty bloody fantastic too, for the 14 years I've had them. But I've got cabinet speakers now and it's time for them to move on.I

Edit - you will have worked out that they are bloody huge and a total PITA to live with. Then you play music, and they just murder everything else and leave it bleeding. There's a reason why I've kept them for 14 years, for 5 of those I had to move the speaker every time I wanted to watch the telly. But it was worth it.

Which amp/amps are you running them with, Steve?

I’d love to get them past the wife, but I don’t think I’d manage.

How far into the room do they need to be?
A yard off the back wall is enough. They are on castors so you can move them about.
Which amp/amps are you running them with, Steve?
A variety. They sound very good on an EL34 valve amp. I have also used a Quad 405 and a big Amcron Crown thing with massive power and grip. That sounds good too, a number of people say that a big tranny amp is the best choice. Others say that a JLH 1968 is the sweetest, but my DIY build one remains unfinished and not working.

I’m going to interject here and say I visited steve67 when he helped me out a few years ago. These speakers sound amazing - something I’ve never forgot.
GLWTS

I’m going to interject here and say I visited steve67 when he helped me out a few years ago. These speakers sound amazing - something I’ve never forgot.
GLWTS
Thanks Karl,
I remember you coming over, it was good to meet you. It was in the old house, a little semi and they *really* didn't fit, but they worked well. I also remember fitting your cartridge and setting up the arm, it wasn't very long after the accident and I was struggling to see and use my hands, but we got it done. The bottle of wine you gave me in return went down well, too!

GLWTS
Incidentally Karl, was the deck in question an LP12? I seem to remember so. I can't remember the arm, I'm guessing Ittok or maybe Akito. It was a good 11-12 years ago after all and as you'll remember I wasn't especially well at the time and still recovering from my injuries. I know you later moved on to another deck. Did the one I saw escape the fire you had, or was it one of the casualties?

Like the stands, I made a similar pair out of wood when I had my stacked quads, really like them, much better in most aspects than a single quad setup except perhaps imaging, best of luck with sale.

advertisement

Back