advertisement

Stacked KEF 103 Reference Active set up

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer par excellence
DIY has a number of different meanings and I have no practical skills so I am not able to do the full make the cabinets speaker set up . However I converted some ready made speakers in to something all my own.

The start of all this is my liking for late 70's KEF 103 Reference speakers . They a are a two way built in a metal internal frame and then a wooden cabinet over that . As passive speakers they sound very good even by todays standard .

Then I heard actives and wanted that sound but lacking the skill to make my own I instead looked at converting the KEF's . First thing was to remove the crossover and add a second a second set of binding posts / banana plug inputs . Then rewire the bass and treble directly to each pair . While doing this a second pair of very nice KEF 103 were for sale in Glasgow and so I bought them and the original udea was to have both an active and passive set but that went out the window when I had a suggestion that putting one on top of the other would put them about the right height with a small stand underneath and then the bottom pair could be just used for Bass duties freeing the upper pair for Mid and Treble .

Well that was it I was now committed to getting this Frankenstein foursome up and working . After a few turning the wrong way moves I finally got things in order and now have the following system set up

Source Raspberry Pi 4 1GB + Allo Digione - Plus LPSU - SPDIF via BNC in to a MiniDSP DDRC 22D with LPSU acting as a DIRAC Live DSP Unit . Digital signal from this using AES / EBU to a MiniDSP 10 x 10 HD acting as Digital Crossover with Bass set at 300Hz , Mid 300hz - 3000Hz , Treble 3000Hz - 15000kHz . Analogue signal then sent to an NVA P30 power amp for Bass and two NVA 20P power amplifiers split left and right handling Mid and Treble for each pair of speakers . All this is wired up with some used Kimber Kable and Edge interconnects . I had some nice granite bases made for these to sit on and it all works far better than i ever thought it would . So much so this is now the best music sound i have had at home to date .

advertisement

Back