advertisement

STA 25 series 5

I really need to update our website, the pictures are extremely out of date. Build quality has improved a fair bit over the years and the amplifiers feature a valve-runaway protection circuit.

DSC_3679.jpg

DSC_3685.jpg

The only reason I don't have an STA25 is that my Duevel Venus speakers are not the kind of load with which it is ideally paired. Speaker choice comes before amplifier choice, especially when omnis are your thing.

If I had room (and the budget) for a serious second/alternative system, it would be Tannoy Cheviots (or maybe John Howes Quarter Waves... or one Voigt corner horn) driven by a Radford. I can dream... :)

I've had one for nine years and the only (heretical?) thing I would change would be to replace the original captive mains lead for the IEC socket. I even had an 'out of the blue' call from Will a few years ago just to catch up.

The only reason I don't have an STA25 is that my Duevel Venus speakers are not the kind of load with which it is ideally paired. Speaker choice comes before amplifier choice, especially when omnis are your thing.

If I had room (and the budget) for a serious second/alternative system, it would be Tannoy Cheviots (or maybe John Howes Quarter Waves... or one Voigt corner horn) driven by a Radford. I can dream... :)

I’ve heard hi fi people say that the output transformers on these amps are so good they’ll drive anything.

I listened to mine yesterday. It is an astonishingly good amp.

My favourite story about these amps is as follows.

When I got mine I took it to a local hifi store to look over - it was second hand. I drove it to them and when I got in there were about four people working in the shop, no customers - all eccentric hifi types, music lovers and electronics geeks, opinionated middle aged men - you know the sort.

Anyway when I took it into the shop, they all rushed over to pay homage, one of them prostrated himself in front of it in a gesture of humility, another started to talk about how he knew the designer etc etc.

Reactions: irb
Any reason not to buy one?

Once burned, twice shy.

No way I would order anything from England again after what happened with the Onix scam. Whish I could cross the ocean in the blink of an eye to kick this men ass...

Too bad for honest manufacturers doing beautiful equipment such as Radford but it seem there are a few bad apples in this industry.

And just what, precisely, has "the Onix scam" to do with Radford Revival, a company which receives universal acclaim for its products and ethos?

edit: Oh silly me, there's an "Ignore" button for cases like this...

I’ve heard hi fi people say that the output transformers on these amps are so good they’ll drive anything.

I listened to mine yesterday. It is an astonishingly good amp.

It should drive just about anything because it has lots of negative feedback by valve power amp standards. This means it has a low output impedance. The high quality OPT's and the triode/pentode phase splitter ALLOW this much feedback to be used without instability.

advertisement

Back