advertisement

St Vincent - Daddy's Home - Anyone?

Vinny

pfm Member
My impression is that there is no great following for Annie here on PFM, but her latest has got to be her most approacable, if totally eclectic LP thus far.

I am a fan anyway, but this one is so easy to like - a mix of blues, folk/country, jazz...

This will probably link to just the first track, but the whole album is available if you follow the link to YouTube -

I really liked masseduction and masseducation immediately, mainly because New York was a great lead in. Daddy’s home is a slower burner for me so far ...

Mentioned a lot in the "now listening" thread and also the 2021 new music thread, she's not my cup of tea though. I've tried with various stuff of hers but I just don't get it.

I really like it, she does tend to move around the styles somewhat. Less taken with ‘Actor’ but will buy ‘misseducation’.

One thing for sure is that she is a huge talent.

Not someone i was familiar with until recently
gave this a listen because I'd heard good things and to be fair it's not for me
I was a bit disappointed because I was looking for something new to enjoy
May give it another try

I like this. Its very studied and deliberate in trying to evoke early 70s production style, and the arrangements I really like. As a result its not immediate or flashy but gets better with repeated listens.

Also for those buying vinyl, I have both the deluxe and the VMP edition, the latter being the superior sounding version, slightly more dynamic sounding to my ears.

I was late to the party with this one but managed to track down a Deluxe edition a few days ago. Great stuff, I’m certainly enjoying it so far, and I’m a sucker for a tip-on sleeve. I’ve only got this and the first album (on CD, which came in with a collection recently and is excellent, maybe better to my mind) and an early random remainder bin punt 7” somewhere too (its in the flightcase under the TV so I can’t remember what!) so a I have a huge gap in the middle. Annie Clark has been on my radar for a while as she’s such an amazing guitar player, but somehow I never got around to buying anything. I’d be interested to know how folk here rank her work to date, e.g. which are the stand-outs? The thing I love about the first one is the way she throws some really bonkers Robert Fripp-grade guitar aggression around in places one wouldn’t expect it. Less of that on Daddy’s Home, but it’s a whole other thing/feel.

I've got a few of her records. I really like her writing and guitar playing but find there's a super bright digital sheen in the way they've been recorded which gives them a very hard sound which, for me, makes them quite hard going to listen to. I think it's more of an aesthetic thing than a poor recording tbh.

YouTube’s AI burped this up for me last night. It’s a really cool early gig, just Annie, guitar, some sample loops etc and mainly 1st album stuff. Some astonishing guitar playing, as one would expect.

The vinyl of Daddy’s Home sounds good to me and I’ve no issue with Marry Me on CD either. The latter is quite ‘loud’, but sounds very good on both the Tannoys and Leak/LS3/5A systems.

Just playing Marry Me again via the Tannoy rig and I’m liking it more and more with every play. I’ve connected with this one far more than Daddy’s Gone so far. I really like the production too, it sounds huge and powerful here, the various layers separated out. It is a very cleverly constructed album in all respects, she knows *exactly* what she is doing. An astonishingly talented muso IMO. I’m sure Daddy’s Home is as good, I just need to spend some more time with it.

PS I ordered a copy of Masseduction on vinyl as Bleep still had it in stock and it seems to be regarded as one of the best. I love the cover too, just brilliantly iconic/ironic/funny, maybe the best pop album cover design this side of DSOTM & Unknown Pleasures.

Astonishing it gets termed as such?

However you want to term it. She has unbelievable technique and knowledge and manages to use it to sound hugely original.

Check the utter ease she does something 98% of guitarists would find impossible on the second song here! She’s Fripp/Belew/Frisel-grade IMO, she just tucks it away in the corners of songs rather than grandstanding.

Good interview/jam etc here.

advertisement

Back