advertisement

SRM Azure plinth kit for Rega - anyone got any experience?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I'm thinking of buying one of these as an upgrade to a Planar 2 - does anyone have any experience of this product that they can share before I take the plunge?

Oh well...

Looks like I'll be first up with this one (which I am surprised about!)

I've just made an offer on a second-hand plinth kit, so let's see how this pans out.

If you’re enquiring about the SRM acrylic turntable kit using Rega parts, a friend has built one and put an acrylic platter on it. It doesn’t impress me I’m afraid.
Another good friend has put his Rega bits into a single 50mm thick veneered ply chassis. Tango spinner hub and acrylic platter from Ben at Fidelity? and I quite like what it does.

I think I should just add that there’s not much left of the original Rega in either deck!

I've got the reference platter upgrade from Ben at Fidelity Audio - as well as the reference bearing upgrade, Heed Orbit 2 power supply, bits ready to do a double drive belt conversion, Cherry Audio acrylic platter with metal underweights, I'm planning on a motor upgrade to the later, less vibrational type (or at least putting a thrust bearing on the motor I have), Kinetic Isoweight stub and weight on the way (although I already have a no-name item, it needs a bit of work and some PTFE tape to damp it - so I'll modify it for the next project).

RB250 arm modifications are on the cards at some point as well, I'm still vacillating about final cartridge choice.

I think you have everything you need there to build a decent deck. You just need to decide how to put it all together. I’d personally go for the single solid slab or a single solid three legged affair. I can post some pics later this evening of some of my attempts if you wish. If you were near enough I could cut you a sub chassis from some nice Norwegian ply. I have plenty here and I’ve just recently cut some for a turntable support for the chap with the solid ply plinth. I can only do simple stuff mind but I’m trying to get something together with another mate who has cnc machining facilities. The chap with the solid Rega has tried both double and single belt set ups and has stuck with the single belt set up.

I think you have everything you need there to build a decent deck. You just need to decide how to put it all together. I’d personally go for the single solid slab or a single solid three legged affair. I can post some pics later this evening of some of my attempts if you wish. If you were near enough I could cut you a sub chassis from some nice Norwegian ply. I have plenty here and I’ve just recently cut some for a turntable support for the chap with the solid ply plinth. I can only do simple stuff mind but I’m trying to get something together with another mate who has cnc machining facilities. The chap with the solid Rega has tried both double and single belt set ups and has stuck with the single belt set up.

I would very much like to see the sort of things you mention here. If you have some CNC capabilities coming, that's pretty damn awesome too :)

It’s not a done deal yet. There will be some cost to bear as the guy has made a big investment. Most of what I do in my own workshop is cheap as I do it for fun and it costs nothing if I make the offer ;)

I’ll have a trawl through my albums when I get home. I must go, my NCC300 build is begging for my attention :)

It’s not a done deal yet. There will be some cost to bear as the guy has made a big investment. Most of what I do in my own workshop is cheap as I do it for fun and it costs nothing if I make the offer ;)

I’ll have a trawl through my albums when I get home. I must go, my NCC300 build is begging for my attention :)

oooh - Avondale?

Yes, I went to see Les about something else and was lucky enough to come away with a pair of NCC300 boards and heatsinks.

I've had a good look in my albums and there aren't as many pics as I thought but here's a few to be going on with.

I've built quite a few Lencos but here's one of the first belt drives I did. It's cut from one inch acrylic and uses a Clearaudio bearing and platter. I adapted some Orbe springs to suit and built the twelve inch arm from the remains of a damaged Project arm.

This next one is built from layers of dibond which is an aluminium/polyethylene/aluminium sheet.

Managed to find one with a plywood sub. Clearaudio platter and bearing again but I've machined a lump of aluminium and bolted it to the platter to give it some mass. This was my favorite deck for many years.

I've done several Regas, one in acrylic and anotherr in birch ply but they're not on this hd for some reason. Same with the Dual 701s. I'll try and find them later.I do have a pic on my phone of my mate's Arezzo. I'ts not the best but I'll put it on if you fancy.

I've done several Regas, one in acrylic and anotherr in birch ply but they're not on this hd for some reason. Same with the Dual 701s. I'll try and find them later.I do have a pic on my phone of my mate's Arezzo. I'ts not the best but I'll put it on if you fancy.

Yes please!

Well I bought it. Let us see what it does that's good, and what it does that's bad.

While I was potching and pondering though it struck me that using 2 rega plinths, one atop the other, with the motor mounted to the bottom plinth could be a worthwhile thing. A second step on from this would be to separate the plinths entirely, cut the lower plinth so that there would be room for long legs from the upper plinth to go down to the slab of stone these buggers are going to sit on.

I have got to stop eating cheese late at night. At least I have ideas already for my next Planar 2 build :)

advertisement

Back