advertisement

Squeezebox alternatives

Brian

Eating fat, staying slim
I am currently using a SQ3.

I would like a streamer with a wireless remote control so that I don't have to worry about the kit being within range of the infra-red remote used with the SQ3. Any day now I'll be buying a Squeezebox Duet as that's the only option I'm aware of. Before splashing the cash can anybody suggest alternatives to the Duet? I'm using a Toshiba laptop to run Squeezecenter, the OS is Linux but could be XP if necessary.

You can use the Duet controller or an iPhone or iTouch running the iPeng app or even an iPad with the SB3. Going to the Duet just removes the IR option and the display.

You can use the Duet controller or an iPhone or iTouch running the iPeng app or even an iPad with the SB3. Going to the Duet just removes the IR option and the display.
Thanks Patrick, I didn't know that so it opens up some options.

I can see the possibility of an iPad, which I've seen but had no idea could control a standard SQ3. I don't know what else I'd do with it though.

I doubt I'd go for the phone option, I'm a dinosaur on that one, all I want is a basic thing that makes calls and sends texts.

As a Duet remote will work, do you sell them and if so, how much?

No I don't sell them. Your best bet is probably eBay and/or a trawl of the web. Don't discount an iTouch which AFAIK is an iPhone without the phone - people who use the app seem to love it.

I can't speak for the iPod touch [although I assume the app works identically] but I find that iPeng on my iPhone is pretty fantastic for controlling my Squeezebox.

I have just moved from a squeeze duet to arcam dac and apple tv. Sounds much clearer but need to run dac in - will post more when done this. Snow great for music listening BTW

I have a Duet, you can search but its a right old faff spelling out the search criteria [battery goes flat pretty quick with use], ok if you just scroll, select and play but I like to browse and therefore prefer to use the laptop which sits on a table next to me. However this may be a use for the ipad and God knows it needs one.

I've had both a Duet controller and the iPod Touch now for controlling squeezecenter (or whatever it's called these days) and the iPod is so much better it's not funny, and I'm no fanboi, in fact it's the only apple product I own.

IME the Duet controller is flaky, has poor battery life and has a small screen. I can leave the Touch on all day and still have most of the battery left, the Duet used to last about 3 hours max.

iPeng is a very good option for controlling a squeezebox. Works very well on the iPhone/iPod Touch and is excellent on an iPad. Highly recommended.

advertisement

Back