Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Spotify vs Apple Music

Discussion in 'music' started by DodgyEars, Mar 3, 2021.

1. DodgyEars

DodgyEars pfm Member

I'm currently on the Premium Spotify and after several months, I'm thinking of switching to Apple Music instead. Firstly, I am not a big fan of the Spotify App interface and on top of that the suggestions on the playlists are very repetitive. Not, sure what Algo they are using, but it seems it's heavily focused on the last played songs with lots of repetitions.
    The biggest issue I have is the inferior audio quality of some songs, which is really annoying.
    Not, sure whether migrating to Apple Music will solve these issues - however the integration of Apple music into iTunes and Apple's ecosystem is definitely a big plus for me. In terms of catalogue - I think both streaming services are on par.
    Have any of you experienced Spotify / Apple Music or other streaming services, thoughts or suggestions?

2. Chris Cooke

Chris Cooke pfm Member

Hallo. I have used both. Currently on Spotify but now exploring AM again over a free month.
    My first surprise is that AM seems to have a sound quality edge. More balanced mix. I read that AM has very specific standards applied to publishers.
    Also experimenting with two Homepods in stereo pair and for virtual surround sound with ATV.
    Can definitely say that the HomePod is (as you might expect) optimised for AM. Less bass bloat and more mid range.
    Agree with your point on Spotify algos. Great at first but not giving me enough of the new to chew on.

3. MattDSC

MattDSC pfm Member

Is there a way to reliably convert playlists in one into the other though? ...that’s what makes them sticky. I’ve used some tools in the past - but hit and Miss to be honest.

4. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

My experience is polar opposite. Always found Spotify UI and suggested tracks to be quite good. Despite being all Apple at the time, I couldn't get on with their streaming service.

Steaming services are not for critical listening IMO, more suitable for discovering, seeking out and procuring the best masters and enjoying this way.

If you insist on streaming and better SQ: Tidal and Qobuz would seem the way to go. The issue I have is that you never know which version you are listening to. If the streaming services revealed this info it would be very helpful.

Do you listen to Radio Paradise? It's a great station and sounds much better than it ought to -- give it a whirl, it might surprise you.

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I use Spotify on my Sonos, I find it really easy to use. Better than just spotify

6. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

I have Spotify family and AM / Qobuz individual. They each have their pros and cons.

AM sounds slightly better than Spotify, but it's only noticeable if you A/B. I also prefer AM's organisation / UI and the human curated playlists.

On the Spotify side, Spotify connect is great, Apple Music is more of a "walled garden".

7. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Is remarkably similar to a post by:
    Submitted by Kelly Pierce on Sunday, May 14, 2017

https://www.applevis.com/forum/other-apple-chat/spotify-vs-apple-music-which-do-you-prefer-and-why