advertisement

SPL Phonitor 2 as a preamp (active speakers)

igor_xxxx

pfm Member
Hi everybody,

I would like to turn to the pfm collective wisdom on the following matter :)

In the last few weeks/months I’ve been trying a lot of combinations to replace my Mytek 192 dac as a preamp, but all the options that I tried proved to not be to my liking.

Through the dac I am routing the phono stage (unbalanced), PC media server and CD transport (Sony BDP), so those would be the only sources.I really like the dac, but I don’t want to use it as a volume control, and I need a bit of extra gain for the phono stage.

I tried a few preamps, but I really didn’t like the loss of transparency and “liveness” that I am getting when only the Mytek was used as a preamp (unity gain).I tried also connecting the phono stage directly to the Neumann active monitors, but this was really flat and somehow without any “drive”.

This was when I thought to myself, why I should not try and find a similar device to the Mytek (that I like), which will give me the option to use my Sennheiser HD700 with the turntable, run the output (with some gain if needed) to the Neumanns with the flick of a switch, and is available locally.

.... hence the SPL :)

Is this reasonable, crazy or something else :) ?

I know the SPL has a pre out function i never used it that way when i had mine so cant comment on its SQ. It should work fine though in terms of functionality provide the output and input sensitivity of the spl out and neumans respectively is within tolerance. If i recall you can adjust any gain on the spl im not sure if that adjusts the pre out or if indeed the pre out is almost a passive affair which would be good in your case.

I think what you're wanting to do is similar to what I do with my Grace M920, though I also use the Grace's internal DAC and it feeds a power amp rather than directly to a pair of active speakers. My turntable and SACD player go into the two analogue inputs, network player and blu ray player go into two of the Grace's digital inputs, headphone connection via the front panel. It works very well in my situation and is a very neat/small box so I don't see a reason why your suggested set up wouldn't work too.

If i recall you can adjust any gain on the spl im not sure if that adjusts the pre out or if indeed the pre out is almost a passive affair which would be good in your case.

I asked SPL specifically about this, and their feedback was that the gain increase is applied to all outputs, but as they informed me, this is only for the Phonitor models.At the moment I am running my Mytek at unity gain for my phono stage, and it is sufficient, but a bit more increase would be nice to have.... just in case.

I think what you're wanting to do is similar to what I do with my Grace M920, though I also use the Grace's internal DAC and it feeds a power amp rather than directly to a pair of active speakers. My turntable and SACD player go into the two analogue inputs, network player and blu ray player go into two of the Grace's digital inputs, headphone connection via the front panel. It works very well in my situation and is a very neat/small box so I don't see a reason why your suggested set up wouldn't work too.

That is almost exactly what I want to achieve, with the only exception that I want the Mytek to handle the DA conversion, and connect it via the balanced outputs to the Phonitor.The other input will be the phono stage and to connect the HD700s and Neumann monitors via both outputs.That's it.

Basically I want a one neat center device which will connect everything, have a remote control, and allow me to increase the gain if needed.If the Phonitor can do this and sound similar to what I have now, I will be happy.

I just wanted to get some feedback if there is any potential risk that I am missing.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Have you found anything with an inbuilt phono stage, I use the RME ADI ‘pro’ which is A/D,D/A but I have to use a separate Dynavector phono, I send a digital output directly to my D&D 8Cs, ( Analogue output as well of course and adjustable input and output)
Keith

Be careful with the Phonitor and headphones, you have to mute it before removing your headphones or you run the risk of blowing up the amp. If you leave them plugged in then great but just to have the chance of a mishap blowing it up(you accidentally trip over a wire and it's unplugged etc). Not something i would want... Mostly due to the shorting nature of the jack connector when removing and inserting a plug, if you get one with a 4pin xlr to your headphones there is no shorting and no or low risk, still might cause an issue if there is music playing but i'm not sure.

advertisement

Back