advertisement

Spendor sp9/1

Chris81

pfm Member
Hello.
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Spendor SP9/1, I'm more or less interested, but I don't find really much information.

Except of this one:
http://www.regonaudio.com/The Spendor SP9 Loudspeaker July 1996.pdf

Does anybody may have some reviews or technical data for me.
Thank you for your effort.

I owned a pair of Spendor S6e, S8e and S9e in the past and liked them, I'm also a big Harbeth fan, so I'm optimistic that I will like them principle.

Cheers
Christian

These were 'old school' Spendor, after Spencer but still with Derek on board.
I was rather taken with the SP9, but rather too big for my room.

@Jowcol: I bought them 1 hour ago, moving alone wasn't really much fun.
I think they need a little time to settle down after the transport (this is a phenomenon that I only know from Spendor, I'm no vodoo guy/goldear).

Poweramplifier is a Exposure IV dual regulated Stereo with a Cyrus Pre VS2.
I think it will be powerfull enough.

Roomsize is 33qm. Listening distance 3.3m.

The seller is leaving the country, thats the only reason, why he sold the speakers. ;)

How can I check if I need new midrange drivers? What will they cost?

I'd be glad to get as much info as possible.

Kind reaguards
Christian

I have a PDF of a HiFi News review by Martin Colloms, complete with specifications and some measurement data. If you're interested, PM me your email addresses and I'll send it to you.

The midrange driver will have hard surround and need replacing. The seller doesn't realize this otherwise he would never sell them.

FWIW, last year I asked Spendor about whether it was time to replace my midrange drivers in my SP100 (they are about 20 years old) and they responded: "a midrange driver does not make much cone excursion so the surround of this driver would have little or no consequence to the sound of your SP100s."

I wrote a email to the German distributor and asked them for prices and delivery time.
I rotated the bassdrivers at 180° like you told me.
What makes me wonder that the bass today is much more powerfull then yesterday, the whole sound improved.

There is a German review at fairaudio about the SP 100 R2. There is written, that the Spendor speakers need some time to get their full potentiell back after a transport.
Yesterday the bass was extremly withdrawn, today it is much more coherent and fuller, I have to move the speakers away from the backwall, yesterday it was only listenable extremly close to the backwall.

But I have to add that the poweramplifier was switched off until the speaker arrived, that might also be the reason.
Exposure is like Naim and need constant current/voltage.

Spendor told me, that I can only buy the drivers via the German distributor.
IMHO it is the org. driver (painted PP) with the org. surround.
It doesn't sound dull nor is the surround hard or dry.
The sound seems detailed and clean.

It feels exactly like a bicycle tube.
Even when you straighten the crease from the back in the surround it rebuild itself in a second.

advertisement

Back