advertisement

Spendor SP1 question(s)

mandryka

pfm Member
Someone is offering to sell me some SP1s and I'm tempted. There are some things which make me worried about the deal, even though I would have buyer protection I don't want to get involved if there's a potential mess to sort out afterwards.

They are:

He won't let me see an image of the drivers. He says that the grilles can't be removed. Does that sound plausible? How could that be? (That's what has made me hold off.)

He says that the speakers were commissioned by their first owner, who had commissioned them directly from Spendor. The commission included changes ("improvements") to the internal wiring. I'm not sure what they were, but there are now bi-wire terminals. (He also asked for a mahogany cabinet and a special stand to be made.)

He says he bought them 15 years ago from the person who commissioned them from Spendor, and they have never been modified or serviced since.

What do you think?

One of my all time favourite speakers!

The grills do come off. 6 spigots go into plastic recesses in the cabinets 2 at top, 2 middle, 2 bottom. Can be stiff and need a bit of persuasion. The bass units can look a bit "iffy" in that they are polypropylene coned and doped (IIRC) and can look a bit discoloured or like something's spilt on them and dried.... they're supposed to be like that.

They certainly weren't available standard as biwireable but I made at least one set biwireable and upgraded wiring, soldered wires on where push on connectors had been etc and I may have done another set... can't remember for sure. I don't recall either set being mahogany though....

they are also pretty easy to sell on and slowly increasing in value, if you can get them for a good price go for it

Either he thinks the drivers are bad, because he doesn't understand they're doped, or they are bad. Either way, if you see em you'll know. Its the zero risk option.

SP1's have a veneered panel strip at the bottom of the grille. Fitted with Velcro so just pulls off and then grille comes off easier.

Yes. You've found him.
I remember the description of mahogany finish & stands from when I was casually browsing BC1/SP1 on ebay a short while ago. I have bought something from that seller in the past; wasn't a perfect experience but it was OK.

They seem expensive though and he's actually increased the price since I last looked. A nicer looking pair (to me at least) went for £200 less just a week ago.

I can't see the £200 one. On ebay, two SP1s went in March, one for £410 and one for £486. But I'm glad I checked because it looks like he sold these speakers in January for £595, maybe they were returned. I think I'll pass.

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this, by the way. If anyone has one to sell, I'm in the market!

Sorry, my wording was ambiguous. I was referring to that £410 pair being ~£200 less than the mahogany pair you were looking at. So yes, same pair. From my brief observations about £500 is top whack, and if you're patient and can travel then as low as £350.

Someone is offering to sell me some SP1s and I'm tempted. There are some things which make me worried about the deal, even though I would have buyer protection I don't want to get involved if there's a potential mess to sort out afterwards.

They are:

He won't let me see an image of the drivers. He says that the grilles can't be removed. Does that sound plausible? How could that be? (That's what has made me hold off.)

He says that the speakers were commissioned by their first owner, who had commissioned them directly from Spendor. The commission included changes ("improvements") to the internal wiring. I'm not sure what they were, but there are now bi-wire terminals. (He also asked for a mahogany cabinet and a special stand to be made.)

He says he bought them 15 years ago from the person who commissioned them from Spendor, and they have never been modified or serviced since.

What do you think?
Unless someone could explain the “improvements” and show me pics, I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole. The grills come off very easily. I’m afraid I bought a pair and only discovered the previous owner’s “improvements” when it was too late -he refused to refund me as I didnt appreciate the genius of his modifications to them, which had included “star earthing” the XO, ripping up some of the tracks and melting at least one cap with his dodgy soldering.

Unless someone could explain the “improvements” and show me pics, I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole. The grills come off very easily. I’m afraid I bought a pair and only discovered the previous owner’s “improvements” when it was too late -he refused to refund me as I didnt appreciate the genius of his modifications to them, which had included “star earthing” the XO, ripping up some of the tracks and melting at least one cap with his dodgy soldering.

I tend to agree with this and I haven't bought the speakers. I am in the market for SP1 though, if anyone sees one for sale please say.

Sorry, my wording was ambiguous. I was referring to that £410 pair being ~£200 less than the mahogany pair you were looking at. So yes, same pair. From my brief observations about £500 is top whack, and if you're patient and can travel then as low as £350.

Just bought a pair for £310! So you were right.

Classic Spendor SP1 Speakers
(Serial Numbers 003574 & 003575)

Driver units are all original and the speakers sound wonderful. The real wood cabinets are in average conditional and would benefit from TLC or refinishing. Grills could do with a clean. The base of each speaker is discoloured (see last photo). This looks as though it will sand out.

There are two small holes on the back of each speaker. I am unsure what these are for. Removing the back panel reveals that nothing is connected and no loose wires are visible. All the sound deadening foam is present.

Bit worried about those holes but we shall see.

Can someone suggest some suitable stands for them? Maybe sell them to me!

A very nice man at Spendor just told me that the speakers are “thin walled”, and are hence designed to vibrate and resonate with the music. It’s not a good idea to put them on heavy stands which absorb these vibrations, he thought an open frame stand is what’s needed, with the speakers just supported at each corner.

He also thought a stand height of 45cm was about ideal.

But this is not proving to be an easy thing to locate! Most modern stands are too high, and open stands have all disappeared.

Something Solid perhaps? Their XF2 range is made to order, so the height, top width and top depth can be specified.

advertisement

Back