advertisement

Spendor Mind Bender?

__mark__

Is SET
Has anyone experience of SP1 vs SP2/3E? I phoned Spendor to check serials and dates etc. and asked for a brief comparison; they were vague and mysterious, I was left puzzled, like I'd just been set a riddle!

Advice appreciated.

SP1 is bigger than SP2/3.
The E suffix indicates an updated version.
There used to be a "family tree" on Spendor's website that explained the evolution of their speakers, not sure if it's still there.

The main difference is that any generation of SP1 is, as far as I know, a 3-way (3 driver) speaker, whereas the SP2, again of any generation, is a 2-way. To the best of my memory the generations for the latter speaker ran SP2, SP2/2, SP2/3, SP2/3e, SP2/3p, and currently, SP2/3r. I have the 2/3e but have not compared them with the 1/2e, the appropriate comparison.

The key difference is the ( these days) unusual 3 way- tweeter plus "super" tweeter line up on the SP1, irrespective of which variant, Sp1/1, SP1/2 etc. When I had my first pair and my ears were more pristine, I was well aware of their "feathered" treble quality. By that I mean, the HF was all there in its natural form- not faked by the overemphasis built into present designs, usually with cheap tweeters.So if you've got the hearing apparatus, the SP1 is a finer speaker than the not inconsiderable SP2. Take your pick.

The key difference is the ( these days) unusual 3 way- tweeter plus "super" tweeter line up on the SP1, irrespective of which variant, Sp1/1, SP1/2 etc. When I had my first pair and my ears were more pristine, I was well aware of their "feathered" treble quality. By that I mean, the HF was all there in its natural form- not faked by the overemphasis built into present designs, usually with cheap tweeters.So if you've got the hearing apparatus, the SP1 is a finer speaker than the not inconsiderable SP2. Take your pick.

Decameron, I'd got the impression that you were a Harbethian, but it seems that you're a Spendorian. Have you done the comparisons? What do you think of SP1/2r versus SHL5, for example?

advertisement

Back