advertisement

Spendor bc1.

pil

pfm Member
Brought a pair today without listening as they were cheap.
One is fine the other only has faint noise through the tweeter.
Any ideas where to start.
Do you think it likely to be xover or units.
also got a big qrx 7001 sansui that haven't tried yet.

thanks.

I would suggest it is definately the drive unit, or a dry joint on the x-over, x-over components are very robust and seldom cause for concern, what tweeter is it , the Celestion HF1300 or the Coles 4001G supertweeter ??

They are great speakers, try to get them fixed you will not regret it.

Sorry forgot to add this link that could be useful:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vintageBC1.htm

The Yahoo Spendor owners' site is an invaluable source of info. Derek Hughes, son of Spencer Hughes, posts on there and there's a huge amount of data in the files section.

Unlike the bass units in my BC2's which had to be replaced from some donor SA2's (same type drivers but ten years or more newer), the BC1 drivers can be re-built by Terry Miles in the UK, who has close association with Spendor I understand. If they have white coloured surrounds to the cones, they are early ones and both will need sorting. The braids from terminals to cone can come un-soldered too. get a professional to repair them!

Worth a call to Spendor for guidance I think. They can certainly point you in the right direction, even if they can't help themselves.

If you remove the back (or the front if you can carefully get the grilles off to access the screws), check the crossover caps for splitting. If they're ok I'd leave them alone in the first instance. Check the wiring. Mine has very thin 17 strand and I have some flexible 50 strand to go in when I can be bothered.

It's worth fitting some "Maplin" port tubes - mine have the original 50mm external diameter ones and these should be trimmed carefully to 3 3/4 inches, according to the Yahoo site (and matt O'Donoghue's site).

It's unlikely the HF1300 tweeters are damaged, but the Coles super tweeters can suffer, as one of mine has done. These latter don't do a huge amount, save to smooth the top end of the HF1300 a little, but seem to blow if the driving amp is over-driven.

get these sorted and they can still sound charming, if not very loud.

Cheers.
Will hve to get the grill off as i think some came off easy some didn't.
Will get my local audio chap to take a look as i probably end up doing more damage.
Have a pair of rogers studio 1s to tide me over.

advertisement

Back