advertisement

Spendor BC1 intermittent fault.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Someone I know has contacted me about a fault with a Spendor BC1.
In his words: ‘I think there may be a wiring fault, in that it will work for days or weeks and then is silent’

I had a fault with one of my BC1s, in that the bass/mid. stopped working.
Upon examination, I discovered the copper tinsel wire had fractured where it joined the tail from the voice coil winding.
With judicious use of a low powered soldering iron, I managed to solder the tinsel wire to the voice coil tail.
To make it secure, I used a small amount of RS silicone rubber to anchor the repair.
All has been well since.

I wonder if the BC1 I was contacted about may have a similar fault, in that the tinsel wire is making
intermittent connection.
Do any PFM members have any ideas on what the problem might be ?

It certainly sounds like an intermittent connection. Are both drive units affected?

Someone I know has contacted me about a fault with a Spendor BC1.
In his words: ‘I think there may be a wiring fault, in that it will work for days or weeks and then is silent’

I had a fault with one of my BC1s, in that the bass/mid. stopped working.
Upon examination, I discovered the copper tinsel wire had fractured where it joined the tail from the voice coil winding.
With judicious use of a low powered soldering iron, I managed to solder the tinsel wire to the voice coil tail.
To make it secure, I used a small amount of RS silicone rubber to anchor the repair.
All has been well since.

I wonder if the BC1 I was contacted about may have a similar fault, in that the tinsel wire is making
intermittent connection.
Do any PFM members have any ideas on what the problem might be ?

I had the same problem with a BC2.

advertisement

Back