advertisement

Spending time with the Fosi Audio ZA3

I think you should have been upfront. You’ll always get comeback and cynicism if you don’t I’m afraid even if you maintain that your motivations are sincere.

As Krenzler mentioned ...
fingerspitzengefühl (Tact and situational awareness) are indeed lacking in your somewhat blunt approach to foisting your review on a new (to you) community. Time to reflect maybe.

I once acquired a brilliant sounding French CDP after audition and noted that all the many professional reviews were entirely positive.
I had one of those, started at Stage 1 and ended at Stage 6, IIRC ?

As for the OP's review, he took some time to write it, and if you look around the web some of the reviewers will note how much time they spent reviewing the product. I run class D amps, and I have posted on here, over the years, how good I think they sound and how they represent outstanding value for money.

I was irked to se the review, but ultimately, what's the difference between, say, the never ending threads about, what was it, the Westlake dacs, sometime ago, and this ? Maybe, that in a way, it's stealth review, but that's about all. I don't think we have to be hostile to the OP, though.

I had one of those, started at Stage 1 and ended at Stage 6, IIRC ?

As for the OP's review, he took some time to write it, and if you look around the web some of the reviewers will note how much time they spent reviewing the product. I run class D amps, and I have posted on here, over the years, how good I think they sound and how they represent outstanding value for money.

I was irked to se the review, but ultimately, what's the difference between, say, the never ending threads about, what was it, the Westlake dacs, sometime ago, and this ? Maybe, that in a way, it's stealth review, but that's about all. I don't think we have to be hostile to the OP, though.
The hostility is wholly unnecessary and especially in a place which is essentially thousands of user reviews.

I had never heard of the amp before so always interesting to see something on a new product to me.

I have posted reviews on here on products which I have purchased and wanted to share. With the usual minority of comments calling me a shill, advertorial etc etc. This is a place to exchange an interest in hifi in a way you feel comfortable, if you don't like fine but the unnecessary hostility is tiresome.

I had never heard of the amp before so always interesting to see something on a new product to me.

I have posted reviews on here on products which I have purchased and wanted to share. With the usual minority of comments calling me a shill, advertorial etc etc. This is a place to exchange an interest in hifi in a way you feel comfortable, if you don't like fine but the unnecessary hostility is tiresome.
I'm leaving this topic now.ive said all I have to say and I stand by it. But I'll reply to this last post.
I think reviews from contributing members who have heard an item, had it on demo or own the item are invaluable. If you look at my contributions to the new kit thread you can see me asking members to write a mini review.
This is quite different to my mind. The OP was given a free piece of kit on the condition that he wrote a good size review and left in in a prominent place with a clear promotional intent.
How objective do you think he's likely to be? Despite his protestations of innocence and good will to all men, he was never going to say anything other than good things.
I would have welcomed a review of any piece of kit he actually owned and used in his system. But he couldn't be bothered to contribute here, not even once, until he had a nice free amp to promote.

Sorry you feel that way Darren
It wasn’t my intention to upset you or anyone else.
Like you though, i also stand by what I said and for that matter, wrote.
If the amp had been bad, or not worked for me, i would have said so.
I could have not said Fosi sent me the unit, instead of putting a disclaimer saying so.
I could have just said I bought the amp and this is what i think after buying it, which would have been a lie.
You seem to have a problem with me receiving the amp from Fosi for review instead of purchasing it myself, if so, take your problem to Fosi and tell them to change the way they do things.

I get what you are saying. But I for one have never bought anything from a review. I will read them and make up my own mind and let my ears decide if I want it or not. As suspect as this review may be it is not for me or anyone to decide what should be posted that is what the mods are there for. I for one have contributed and still get negativity on reviews. For all I know it could have been written by AI anyway these days

Hi Darren,
Look, I am not here to argue with you or anyone else.
As far as my motivation for doing it, i just thought I’d contact them and see what happened.
I fancied doing something different and also trying to write something, which I have never done before.
Again, if that offended you then apologies.
You, as i said, are entitled to your opinion.
TBH I find the idea of a PFM influencer rather amusing. People have a very high tolerance for writing drivel on this forum but they do expect it to be sincere and unbiased drivel.

TBH I find the idea of a PFM influencer rather amusing. People have a very high tolerance for writing drivel on this forum but they do expect it to be sincere and unbiased drivel.
I’m by no means trying to influence anyone lol
It’s the first time I have ever written a review for anyone.
The negativity was surprising, but sadly it was expected.
So i would not describe myself as an influencer, nor do i want to be an influencer.
If I was going to write something that was just designed to sell something, I wouldn’t have spent as much time as I did listening to and using the amp.
I actually enjoyed the process.
The aftermath? Not so much lol
Such is the internet.

Never heard any of those 90s Sony amps. For some reason, I expect the Sony to crush the little Fosi.

S.
I took a punt on a TA-FB 940QS a few months ago.

Although I've been on a journey (!?) that has taken in scores of great integrated amps, the Sony has settled in very nicely.

A bit of a large box but two big user friendly knobs on the front.
A nice meaty sound with all the right hifi virtues.
Can be had for under a ton if you're lucky.

Not selling mine though.

I took a punt on a TA-FB 940QS a few months ago.

Although I've been on a journey (!?) that has taken in scores of great integrated amps, the Sony has settled in very nicely.

A bit of a large box but two big user friendly knobs on the front.
A nice meaty sound with all the right hifi virtues.
Can be had for under a ton if you're lucky.

Not selling mine though.
When I was younger, if it wasn’t Sony, I wasn’t interested lol.
Drooling over the things they made in the 70s, 80s and even some of the early 90s
I still have my TCK-611S Dolby S Cassette deck in my system.
Sony did lose their way a bit, but they seem to be producing some good stuff in various sectors now.

A suggestion to the OP and perhaps others:

This type of 'paid' review should be run by the owner, @Tony L , before posting. As the manufacturer suggested posting on this site then that seems like trade advertising to me. The trade should be paying the relevant trade fee to Tony, as a minimum. It's Tony's call though, so best to ask him first.

How objective do you think he's likely to be? Despite his protestations of innocence and good will to all men, he was never going to say anything other than good things.
With respect, objectively, this is nonsense. There appears to be precisely zilch obligating a good review and, had you bothered to read elsewhere then, as I mentioned above, there are plenty of equally prominent reviews which post positive and negative aspects. Indeed by the time I’d finished reading about half a dozen I had a much clearer view of the amp than I’d have likely ever obtained from a professional reviewer.

The fact our reviewer has posted a positive review is actually what has led you down a rabbit hole of loaded and unsustainable assumptions which absolutely aren’t borne out by the many reviews. Sure, this review is positive and doesn’t have many of the qualifications mentioned in other user reviews but that’s the nature of all reviews. One persons entirely positive review could simply reflect who they are; what they want; their level of experience and so on. The nature of the relationship between manufacturer and reviewer is pretty much nothing to the point here. If it were then presumably you’d be busy attacking every user review on here on the basis that the reviewer must be biased because they own the product. Clearly that’s a nonsense.

advertisement

Back