advertisement

Speeding Offences

I just prefer driving as normal, but with that little hint that there’s a speed limit. I’d rather have my right foot ready for action than not!

The 10%+2 mph is set because car speedos tend to over read by that amount, check your sat nav, when my speedo reads 77 I'm actually doing 70.

The older I get the less ultimate speed interests me. On the bike for me it’s about 2nd gear blips out of corners, nothing quite like a motorbike for that. Generally speaking I’m on the speed limit when conditions allow and maybe edging towards 80 on the motorway, something this bike is excellent at!

By the sounds of it you're ready to try 2nd gear* anytime now :)

(*assuming that it's a big bike of course..)

About twenty years ago, driving south on the A1 Peterborough bypass in a very heavy rainstorm, I was passed at speed by a TVR whose driver didn't seem to think the state of the road was of any concern.
I came off the A1, and after about half an hour went round a bend in a country road to see a TVR in the same colour sat axle-deep about twenty yards into a ploughed field which was separated from the road by just a low bank. There were no tyre tracks between the bank and the car.
The driver was sat in the car. I stopped to see if he was okay. Physically, he was, but he had a very high embarrassment factor.
He’s lucky, TVRs don’t belong on wet roads, they command respect on a dry road, on wet roads they’re an accident you haven’t had yet... until you do. You can drive them on wet roads but any upwards change of speed needs to be done gently. If you steer out to overtake, and plant your foot down too much, the back end will snap out on you. Similarly, if you accelerate out of a bend to hard (doesn’t need much pressure on the loud pedal), you can easily lose the back end. They’re not crazy fast by modern standards but they are very unforgiving.

I know another Griff owner who overcooked it coming out of a bend and clipped and embankment with his back end, he rolled over and tore his scalp, needed some serious stitches, miraculously he had no other injuries... he went out and bought another Griff. It happened just a couple of minutes up the road from me in Stonnall, I always drove down that road really gingerly.

Another guy I knew, long before I had my Griff, crashed his Cerbera into the end of a crash barrier exiting a roundabout in Telford, he didn’t live to tell that story himself.

Hoping to get my bike back on the road in the not too distant future, (since there's so much bike talk here):):)
It's been about 4 years now... longest I've been without 2 wheels on the road up till this was a 6 month ban under toting up of points about 25 years ago. I've never owned a car.

Inappropriate speed for conditions is. Exceeding the speed limit; 4-8% ish depending on which stats you believe.
There is overlap in this, speed limits at the very least give guidance for those incapable of thought. Number of times I’ve been passed, at very high speed, on the motorway in heavy rain when driving to the conditions is frightening

Hurry up before the weather breaks. Being over 60 I sold my 100bhp+ sport tourer last year, it was a great machine and took SWMBO and me on some great tours. Too much now, got a chrome Interceptor 650 and lots of polish! Happy biker again.
Hoping to get my bike back on the road in the not too distant future, (since there's so much bike talk here):):)
It's been about 4 years now... longest I've been without 2 wheels on the road up till this was a 6 month ban under toting up of points about 25 years ago. I've never owned a car.

Inappropriate speed for conditions is. Exceeding the speed limit; 4-8% ish depending on which stats you believe.

Andrew - I'm trying to understand that.

Is that a number which gives an indication of how many fatalities were caused in incidents where the victim most likely would not have died if the impact were at a speed below the limit ?

Hurry up before the weather breaks. Being over 60 I sold my 100bhp+ sport tourer last year, it was a great machine and took SWMBO and me on some great tours. Too much now, got a chrome Interceptor 650 and lots of polish! Happy biker again.

Mine feels great once you’re riding it but it’s a heavy b*****r when you’re moving it about (250kg). Must admit in terms of performance it’s in a sweet spot. With no rider aids (apart from abs) it’s weight means you can open the throttle fully from 2nd gear upwards and it’s not going to lift the front wheel unless you want it to.
It’s weight means it’s really very stable with side winds and it puts it’s torque down without drama. (Just hold on!).

I had a Garmin sat nav in a 17 plate Vauxhall a couple of years back and the speedo was only 2 or 3 mph over the nav reading at 70mph which I must admit surprised me.

There's only ever one motoring / riding offence and that is recklessness, not caring at all about the possible effect you could have on other people. The problem is, you can't measure recklessness. Doing 120MPH on an empty motorway in a car capable of much higher speeds, well maintained etc. with an alert driver is less reckless than doing 15MPH outside the school gates at kiddie chucking out time while turning around to chastise a child in the back seat. It is less reckless than doing 70 MPH with your mind out of gear listening to the radio, day dreaming. So you don't see the caravan starting to lose control in a gust of wind until it swerves out of it's lane, you panic and jump on the anchors and 5 cars behind you doing exactly the same thing, too close, pile into the back of you.

Speed alone is a lazy way of doing it. You have absolutely no right of appeal.

I was once doing a typical 35 MPH in a 30 zone past a line of parked cars outside some houses. A tiny child, can only have been walking for less than a month, came straight out in front of me. I jumped on the brakes and stopped about 5 feet short but if I'd been there no more than 2 seconds earlier I'd have had that kid's brains all over the front of the car.

Whenever I drive now I try to make sure that I PAY ATTENTION. I don't have the radio on, I don't talk to anyone, I try to concentrate on what's going on around me. You're in charge of a 1.5 ton piece of metal. Take it seriously.

The 10%+2 mph is set because car speedos tend to over read by that amount, check your sat nav, when my speedo reads 77 I'm actually doing 70.

No they don’t. Yours is the worst I’ve heard of in decades. Mine is one or two mph high from 20 to 70mph when compared to gps and those roadside speed warning things.

There is overlap in this, speed limits at the very least give guidance for those incapable of thought. Number of times I’ve been passed, at very high speed, on the motorway in heavy rain when driving to the conditions is frightening

Agreed. Implications and consequences. Previous speed related issues on that road, etc.

Is that a number which gives an indication of how many fatalities were caused in incidents where the victim most likely would not have died if the impact were at a speed below the limit ?

It’s called ‘contributory factors’, Alan. Well, it used to be when I was in the job. It can be that other factors are identified as well as exceeding the speed limit.

There's only ever one motoring / riding offence and that is recklessness, not caring at all about the possible effect you could have on other people.

In the Uk there are several offences that deal with this. Due care/reasonable consideration, Dangerous driving etc. I have prosecuted for Due Care in some circumstances where the speeding prosecution alone would not have been sufficient. Also prosecuted for Due Care when the device used to measure speed was not available, but the circumstances fitted the CPS prosecution standards. Also, that was before the sentencing guidelines changes and gave magistrates the option to discretionary ban for speeding offences

Speedometers used to be a real Heath Robinson rotating magnet - induction creation driving the needle.
These days every car has electronics in the ECU and dashboard that do a far more accurate conversion of wheel revolutions to speed.
Only fitting the wrong wheel/tyres will throw it far off.

No they don’t. Yours is the worst I’ve heard of in decades. Mine is one or two mph high from 20 to 70mph when compared to gps and those roadside speed warning things.

If your speedo was found to be reading that far over, during a forensic vehicle examination, then that would not be a good thing. If you are unsure your speedo is measuring accurately, then it needs to be checked. Defective speedometer is catered for within the Construction and Use Regulations.

He’s lucky, TVRs don’t belong on wet roads, they command respect on a dry road, on wet roads they’re an accident you haven’t had yet... until you do. You can drive them on wet roads but any upwards change of speed needs to be done gently. If you steer out to overtake, and plant your foot down too much, the back end will snap out on you. Similarly, if you accelerate out of a bend to hard (doesn’t need much pressure on the loud pedal), you can easily lose the back end. They’re not crazy fast by modern standards but they are very unforgiving.

I know another Griff owner who overcooked it coming out of a bend and clipped and embankment with his back end, he rolled over and tore his scalp, needed some serious stitches, miraculously he had no other injuries... he went out and bought another Griff. It happened just a couple of minutes up the road from me in Stonnall, I always drove down that road really gingerly.

Another guy I knew, long before I had my Griff, crashed his Cerbera into the end of a crash barrier exiting a roundabout in Telford, he didn’t live to tell that story himself.
I drove my Giffith to work in the snow one day. That was the only time. The blasted thing was a nightmare to control, particularly going downhill to a road junction. Still, I loved it.

You could be right or It could be my satnav, either way while the error may not be as large as I've guesstimated from the ping alerts, speedos do over-read....I'll try it with cruise control on. Always happy to learn/be corrected/have the real reason why the police allow such a margin..

Police force 'policies' list included here;https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...erances-revealed-is-your-cars-speedo-accurate

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/break...y-and-security/how-accurate-is-my-speedometer

advertisement

Back