advertisement

Spectro Acoustics Phase Linear 217R

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
1796882-spectro-acoustics-217r-preamplifier.jpg

This. It looks like it has a very versatile MM phono stage with 30/40 db gain + 15 db variable gain and 16 different capacitance settings. I wonder how good this would be as an MM stage while I get goodwill enough from my wife to have my EAR 802 serviced in the UK. As some of you know, my EAR 802 has developed a fault in the phono stage whereas the line stage functions flawlessly. So I am tempted to pick up a 217R for use as an in-between MM stage. The specs of the Spectro Acoustics Phase Linear 217R are as follows (link: http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/audio_02-1978_spectro.html).

OfC1EN8l.jpg

litVGUIl.jpg

JNWZINzl.jpg

Just a note: I wonder how quiet the MM stage is. The MM stage in my EAR 802 was dead silent - when it worked, that is.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Appears to be a rather old op amp based pre amp with op amp phono stage made in the days before modern op amps were around... and with cheap-ish parts.. but in an "impressive" looking box and with lots of loading options. Probably not as good as a modern budget £50 -80 MM only stage...
You asked....:)

Thanks for the warning. I better buy your 50-80£ jobbie Jez .. Right?

I don't make such a thing. The Cambridge Audio 540P second hand (MM only. not the one I use as a donor!) at maybe £35-40 should beat it I reckon. As should many other more modern budget MM only stages in the, lets say up to £100 new bracket, from many companies.

I know, Jez. :D
I really appreciate your input on this!

Actually, I would have had a listen before buying but your advice saves me the trip. I think I will opt to have a local tech look at my EAR 802 soon to see if the phono stage problem is easily fixable. He can also have a look at the crackly balance Knob. Not that I use that at all.

The noisy balance knob has nothing to do with the phono stage fault. The line stage still plays. And I am a foreign English teacher trying to pass myself off as a semi-native Englshman. I am still lost in translation at times, however.

The crackle was there when I bought it less than 6 months ago so I haven't had much of a chance to turn the knob too many times.

advertisement

Back