advertisement

Specs lens cleaner

Common or garden cotton hankies after huffing on the lenses or (daily) washing them with soap and water. Always used to have glass and have found that plastic lenses react differently. Both plastic and coatings have come a long way, but glass is still the more transparent medium.

Whether old coatings on glass or new one on plastic, water spots appear from time to time and it's virtually impossible to clean those off; they disappear in time though.

Don't use paper hankys as they scratch the lens coating in time.

funnily as i awoke this evening, I was think exactly that. The last thing my optician said to as I walked out with shiny new specs, was "never clean your glasses with a dry cloth, ever.....not even a micro fibre one"

I use paper hankerchiefs (use only the ones without any grease in them) to dab dry the lenses, never rub the lenses, a blast of a clean dry air would be best (if available) to blow away the water.

The cleanliness microfibre cloth is key.

Wash the cloths in normal laundry detergent but don't use rinse aid.

The wife swears by the Aldi wipes, but I use a spray. Either way a final polish with a clean microfibre cloth is essential in my view. It's obvious when the cloths need washing because it becomes difficult to avoid smears, i.e. the cloth is putting muck back on!

Jim
100% agree with this. Also microfibre cloths are not created equal. After decades of spec-wearing, the ones I've gone back to again and again are Hoya ones. I always carry a couple with me, one in the car and a few dotted around the place where I usually need one such as at my desk. Normally it's looking at a bright screen that shows how bad the lenses are.

s-l1600.jpg

funnily as i awoke this evening, I was think exactly that. The last thing my optician said to as I walked out with shiny new specs, was "never clean your glasses with a dry cloth, ever.....not even a micro fibre one"
And absolutely this - dry cloth of any sort on a lens is a no-no.

As mentioned above, I have some glasses from my old optician and they have glass lenses, easy to clean with soapy water and a cloth and keep clean for days.

The latest glasses are from Specsaver, plastic lenses and all three pairs from them have the same issue, looks like the lenses get a film that is like the inside of a car windscreen during winter with the crap the heaters put on it.

Nothing will clean this off, took them back to Specsavers and bought two different types of lense cleaner, none of which work for more than a few hours.

A couple of optician people I know said the only solution was to buy proper glass lenses not plastic.

Think the enviornment you live and work in could make a difference, however I doubt anyone will ever come up with a complete solution for clear glasses.

The leaflet with my (ridiculously expensive) lenses recommended cleaning with a drop of mild detergent and cold water, then drying with a clean microfibre cloth.

As mentioned above, I have some glasses from my old optician and they have glass lenses, easy to clean with soapy water and a cloth and keep clean for days.

The latest glasses are from Specsaver, plastic lenses and all three pairs from them have the same issue, looks like the lenses get a film that is like the inside of a car windscreen during winter with the crap the heaters put on it.

Nothing will clean this off, took them back to Specsavers and bought two different types of lense cleaner, none of which work for more than a few hours.

A couple of optician people I know said the only solution was to buy proper glass lenses not plastic.

Think the enviornment you live and work in could make a difference, however I doubt anyone will ever come up with a complete solution for clear glasses.

Can you still buy glass lenses? My current glasses cost me a fortune back in May 2019 especially for the lenses and to be frank they are shit.

I paid £800 for two pairs of glasses including the lenses (Arc) it was nearly £600 for one pair with the second half price or something so I bought both, both nice frames Ray Ban and Tom Ford with transition lenses and both sets of lenses are Vari focal.

The Tom Ford frames are excellent but I’ve hardly worn those as I can’t really get on with the transition lenses the Ray Ban frames have been replaced with the same frames down to the white staining issue so I bought another exact same frame (£75) and put the lenses into those my self.

I’ve since had me eyes tested again and there’s a slight difference in my eyesight so I might just have a new set of glass lenses made up to replace the current shite ones ( they’ve already been back to be recoated under the warranty) and have them installed into the old frames or I’ll buy another Ray Ban frame cause I like the frame and at £70 a year I can live with that.

I always asked the optician to not include any coating on the lenses in the past but recently that doesn’t seem seem an option available now as apparently the lens manufacturers al coat the lenses.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, the lenses are still driving me nuts but I’m going to try a few of the suggestions one being the Hoya cloths and maybe the Zeiss cleaning fluid too.

Tony

Anyone have any decent recommendations?

I bought some gel stuff from a guy in the market at Keswick a few years ago (2 for £10) and it was okay but ended up not using it.

Tony
"Sparklebright". I've a tub of this on my desk, and use it occasionally. It does seem to work, but unlike the nice chap in Keswick market (not seen him for a while) who offers you a free glasses clean & engages you in conversation whilst wiping the stuff off with a tissue, I can't seem to get the smearing off without a lot of effort.
I've a pair of reactor-light glasses that just won't come clean, no matter what I do.

"Sparklebright". I've a tub of this on my desk, and use it occasionally. It does seem to work, but unlike the nice chap in Keswick market (not seen him for a while) who offers you a free glasses clean & engages you in conversation whilst wiping the stuff off with a tissue, I can't seem to get the smearing off without a lot of effort.
I've a pair of reactor-light glasses that just won't come clean, no matter what I do.

Aye think that was what it was called and it did work to be fair but it’s a bit of a faff plus I left a tub out in our south facing porch and the gel turned to a liquid so ended up tossing away think I’ve another tub somewhere might try that again.

Those two guys in the market were good though and sold loads of that gel, great market that one in Keswick we bought a ‘S’figure dog lead there too for our sproker spaniel who pulls you off your feet with a normal leash but the one from the market worked brilliantly and stopped the pulling, the dog hates it though but it works, Keswick is full of spaniels so the guy knew what worked:D

Those two guys in the market were good though and sold loads of that gel, great market that one in Keswick we bought a ‘S’figure dog lead there too for our sproker spaniel who pulls you off your feet with a normal leash but the one from the market worked brilliantly and stopped the pulling, the dog hates it though but it works, Keswick is full of spaniels so the guy knew what worked:D
It's yet to recover from Covid Tony. Yes, always a good market there, but during the travel restrictions it's been heaving so I tend to avoid it these days & get my Mr Vikki's curry sauces on-line.

It's yet to recover from Covid Tony. Yes, always a good market there, but during the travel restrictions it's been heaving so I tend to avoid it these days & get my Mr Vikki's curry sauces on-line.

Aye we’ve not been back since August 2019 we love the Lake District and in particular Keswick, dog city:D

glass lenses are too heavy for my Mr Magoo prescription.

time before last as part of the 2-4-1 thing at Specsaver I chose a particular frame as it needed lenses thinner than the thinnest plastic, so I had to go for glass - they were no easier to keep clean than plastic lenses, but got worn infrequently as they were too heavy and caused my to have headaches.

to be honest I am ever grateful to be able to still get daily disposable contacts in my prescription.

Monovision has been a eye opener (sorry :p) for me to correct both distance and near vision.....clever thing ones brain...

advertisement

Back