advertisement

Speakers to partner Rega Elicit r?

Ric969

pfm Member
My current speakers are PMC twenty 21 on PMC stands.

My amplifier is the Rega Elicit r and my source is Rega Saturn r.

I've had this set up for about a year now but I'm looking at changing my speakers as I've started to find it all a bit fatiguing. The set up is very detailed but I'd prefer it to be a little less 'bright'. I'm looking at the little Russell K Red 50 standmounters or the Rega RX3 floorstander at the moment.

What other speakers should I be looking at that work well with the Rega Elicit r for about £1200, aren't 'bright' and are a good all rounder?

What is the size of your room? I previously used the Brio-R in one of my setups, using bookshelves in a room that is on the larger side to be using bookshelves. I picked up a pair of the Focal Aria 906's & I found the same thing as you. I believe in general Rega's house sound is a little thinner all around which can make the highs seem a little bright at times, when paired with a speaker that also isn't full sounding. I believe the Elicit is actually the fuller/darker sounding of all the current amps. Do you like your current speakers? Have you tried any other amps as it could also just be the amp your not getting along with. I swapped my Brio for a small NuPrime integrated & it does a much better job of driving the Focals.

On the other hand, in the same room I previously had a pair of Neat Motive S3's with the Brio & it was a great sounding little setup.

Being my room is larger, I'm swapping to a pair of rear ported Dynaudio speakers as they tend to be a much fuller speaker vs the Focals, so maybe worth checking out as well.

whatever speakers, a lengthy home audition is to be recommended.
I've been very happy with Rega RX3's with the same amp and cdp as you, but rather than a 'thinness' problem, I found, as the amp ran in and/or the speaker drive units loosened up, that suddenly I was noticing excessive bass, but I restored the balance to my liking by swapping the speakers around so that instead of the side driver firing inwards, as i'd been using them, I had them firing outwards, which I felt made the bass ( in my room) sound more controlled/defined.
I also find it to be an idiosyncratic amplifier which sounds different depending, I think, on the level of warm up. Sounds best when it's been switched on a good few hours, and is warm to the touch. Probably better to leave it permanently switched on.

What is the size of your room? I previously used the Brio-R in one of my setups, using bookshelves in a room that is on the larger side to be using bookshelves. I picked up a pair of the Focal Aria 906's & I found the same thing as you. I believe in general Rega's house sound is a little thinner all around which can make the highs seem a little bright at times, when paired with a speaker that also isn't full sounding. I believe the Elicit is actually the fuller/darker sounding of all the current amps. Do you like your current speakers? Have you tried any other amps as it could also just be the amp your not getting along with. I swapped my Brio for a small NuPrime integrated & it does a much better job of driving the Focals.

On the other hand, in the same room I previously had a pair of Neat Motive S3's with the Brio & it was a great sounding little setup.

Being my room is larger, I'm swapping to a pair of rear ported Dynaudio speakers as they tend to be a much fuller speaker vs the Focals, so maybe worth checking out as well.

Thank you for the reply, my room is about 4 x 3.5 m but it is open at one end to another room. My speakers at the moment are about 2.5 m apart tweeter to tweeter and I sit about the same distance away.

I haven't tried my speakers with a different amp, what I'm looking for is a warmer, fuller sounding speaker that I can enjoy all types of music without it getting fatiguing.

whatever speakers, a lengthy home audition is to be recommended.
I've been very happy with Rega RX3's with the same amp and cdp as you, but rather than a 'thinness' problem, I found, as the amp ran in and/or the speaker drive units loosened up, that suddenly I was noticing excessive bass, but I restored the balance to my liking by swapping the speakers around so that instead of the side driver firing inwards, as i'd been using them, I had them firing outwards, which I felt made the bass ( in my room) sound more controlled/defined.
I also find it to be an idiosyncratic amplifier which sounds different depending, I think, on the level of warm up. Sounds best when it's been switched on a good few hours, and is warm to the touch. Probably better to leave it permanently switched on.

I do usually keep my amp switched on, I used to have a pair of Rega RS3 but the new RX range are supposed to be better. Are the new RX range non fatiguing? Would they be warmer than my PMC?

I too had the RS3's which I enjoyed with my Brio-R. I then auditioned the speakers against the RX3's, expecting, if anything, a marginal improvement, but was astounded at the difference, though I shouldn't have been, as they are a completely different design to the RS's, which used a light is best approach.
I think they are a must audition, particularly in the context of your existing all Rega system. They are more detailed and have greater scale than the RS's, and with better dynamics. I think you'll agree they are a good (synergistic) match with the Elicit -R.

I too had the RS3's which I enjoyed with my Brio-R. I then auditioned the speakers against the RX3's, expecting, if anything, a marginal improvement, but was astounded at the difference, though I shouldn't have been, as they are a completely different design to the RS's, which used a light is best approach.
I think they are a must audition, particularly in the context of your existing all Rega system. They are more detailed and have greater scale than the RS's, and with better dynamics. I think you'll agree they are a good (synergistic) match with the Elicit -R.

That's good to know, thanks. I'm glad the RX3 would be a good match as I did think for some reason that I'd have to bypass the RX3 and go with the slightly bigger RX5 for the Elicit-r. The RX5 are quite a bit deeper and would be the absolute limit in my room, I prefer the dimensions of the RX3.

Thank you for the reply, my room is about 4 x 3.5 m but it is open at one end to another room. My speakers at the moment are about 2.5 m apart tweeter to tweeter and I sit about the same distance away.

I haven't tried my speakers with a different amp, what I'm looking for is a warmer, fuller sounding speaker that I can enjoy all types of music without it getting fatiguing.

I'm not sure how much you've played with electronics but sometimes just a swap in electronics can have a large impact on sound. Only reason I mention this is because I don't think PMC's are typically know as forward sounding speakers, so it may just be the combo you're not liking.

If available, I'd see if I could home demo a warmer sounding integrated, just to verify the speakers are the issue (never nice to buy new speakers, only to find out they were the issue/only issue). At least then you could verify a speaker swap is in order.

As far as warmer sounding speaker, typically brands like Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Harbeth would be a start or as mentioned, one of Rega's own speakers.

That's good to know, thanks. I'm glad the RX3 would be a good match as I did think for some reason that I'd have to bypass the RX3 and go with the slightly bigger RX5 for the Elicit-r. The RX5 are quite a bit deeper and would be the absolute limit in my room, I prefer the dimensions of the RX3.

My experience with RS5 they boom like hell or had too much uncontrolled bas in smaller rooms while RS3 not so much but RS1 were great.
Not a fan of R/RS models with sidefiring bas, I'd choose Ela's anyday allthough these are a bit old by now.
Never heard the RX serie, at their much more expensive level, I hope they have improved on that issue.
If your setup are bright it may be down to cables, mains setup, supports ?
Among "good all rounders" i'd say listen to Neat Motive or Kudos X2, The red50 are great if a bit special, but I guess you should look at the basics before trying to shift speakers not really solving problem, maybe you just don't like your PMC ?

My experience with RS5 they boom like hell or had too much uncontrolled bas in smaller rooms while RS3 not so much but RS1 were great.
Not a fan of R/RS models with sidefiring bas, I'd choose Ela's anyday allthough these are a bit old by now.
Never heard the RX serie, at their much more expensive level, I hope they have improved on that issue.
If your setup are bright it may be down to cables, mains setup, supports ?
Among "good all rounders" i'd say listen to Neat Motive or Kudos X2, The red50 are great if a bit special, but I guess you should look at the basics before trying to shift speakers not really solving problem, maybe you just don't like your PMC ?

Thanks Per,the system isn't 'bright' as such I'd just prefer a slightly more unforgiving and warmer sound, it can get a bit fatiguing after a while.

I haven't decided on standmounts or floorstanders yet but I like the look of those proAcs and they're supposed to go well with Rega too, thanks for the suggestion. I see you're using them with your Naim gear :)

Don't underestimate them just coz they'iz bookshelf's, they sound much bigger than they look.

If you do audition them make sure they're well run-in, mine took about 80 hours from new to show what they're capable of. And try them on open frame or single pillar stands too, the sound staging is pretty awesome.

Thanks Per,the system isn't 'bright' as such I'd just prefer a slightly more unforgiving and warmer sound, it can get a bit fatiguing after a while.

You can get warmer performance by many older speakers such as
Heybrook HB 1 or 2
Mordaunt Short pageant amo
Monitor audio 52 or something
Early B&W's
Various KEF's
Maybe Linn Keilidhs or Naim SBL

Common for these they are cheap as chips to try
Not sure its your solution
I'd look elsewhere too, to explain your issue - not familiar with your PMC's I'm afraid

On the cheaper eqvivalent to your setup, I have successfully runned a Apollo/R-Brio/R with RS1 in similar sized room and nothing really missed - price considered, I could easy live with such setup and my P3, I'd expect your cd/amp is more of everything allthough hardly "warm sounding" - did you experience that when buying back then ?

Sometime carefull setup procedure, no cables touch others, mains optimized, stand support level etc..makes the difference from Hmm to good.
My experience with Rega setup they are not as difficult as say a Naim setup to make it sing.
Rega cables all through are fit and forget too.

Hi Ric969,

In the original post, you mention you are looking at the Russell K Red50’s - have you heard them yet? I think it would be very rewarding to do so. For me they were superior to similarly sized bookshelf speakers experienced at a demo a few months back - specifically Dynaudio X14, the new Rega RX1, B&W CM1 S2, and finally Focal 906.

Personally, (as speaker choice is so subjective), I thought Russell K’s were more engaging and entertaining without being fatiguing, much more so than the others. When the the RK 50’s were replaced in the system to back compare, the music then sounded comparatively, rather lifeless, save for the Focal 906 boxes, which were a genuine surprise.

That said, I heard the RK speakers last in the dem, and it was then game over as it were, although firstly listening to the others I could have happily lived with the Rega, Dynaudio and Focal, its just that the RK’s enriched the music that bit more - maybe they are coloured or inaccurate, not sure, but they were huge fun!

The only speakers I thought unlistenable were the B&W’s, which I found very fatiguing and barley got through two tracks.

You can get warmer performance by many older speakers such as
Heybrook HB 1 or 2
Mordaunt Short pageant amo
Monitor audio 52 or something
Early B&W's
Various KEF's
Maybe Linn Keilidhs or Naim SBL

Common for these they are cheap as chips to try
Not sure its your solution
I'd look elsewhere too, to explain your issue - not familiar with your PMC's I'm afraid

On the cheaper eqvivalent to your setup, I have successfully runned a Apollo/R-Brio/R with RS1 in similar sized room and nothing really missed - price considered, I could easy live with such setup and my P3, I'd expect your cd/amp is more of everything allthough hardly "warm sounding" - did you experience that when buying back then ?

Sometime carefull setup procedure, no cables touch others, mains optimized, stand support level etc..makes the difference from Hmm to good.
My experience with Rega setup they are not as difficult as say a Naim setup to make it sing.
Rega cables all through are fit and forget too.

Thanks Per, plenty of food for thought there.

Hi Ric969,

In the original post, you mention you are looking at the Russell K Red50’s - have you heard them yet? I think it would be very rewarding to do so. For me they were superior to similarly sized bookshelf speakers experienced at a demo a few months back - specifically Dynaudio X14, the new Rega RX1, B&W CM1 S2, and finally Focal 906.

Personally, (as speaker choice is so subjective), I thought Russell K’s were more engaging and entertaining without being fatiguing, much more so than the others. When the the RK 50’s were replaced in the system to back compare, the music then sounded comparatively, rather lifeless, save for the Focal 906 boxes, which were a genuine surprise.

That said, I heard the RK speakers last in the dem, and it was then game over as it were, although firstly listening to the others I could have happily lived with the Rega, Dynaudio and Focal, its just that the RK’s enriched the music that bit more - maybe they are coloured or inaccurate, not sure, but they were huge fun!

The only speakers I thought unlistenable were the B&W’s, which I found very fatiguing and barley got through two tracks.

I've not had a chance yet to hear the Russell K yet, I'm still not certain if I'm going for another standmount or a small floorstander but I'm very keen to hear the Russell K Red 50s, they're supposed to be a bit special.

advertisement

Back