advertisement

Speakers that work well with Farlowe era amps?

madscientist

pfm Member
Hi
I am currently running an Exposure XIV/IX/IVDR2 combo through Neat Elite SE speakers. They sound great but i cannot quite decide if they are a bit bright! I would like some opinions on other speakers you have used with this kit that is highly synergistic, retains the attack of the Exposures but with a degree of warmth..if that is possible?

paul

Back in the mid 80's I heard some fairly basic Exposure amps through my Gale 301's at our home. Sounded bloody great. Wish I had bought the Exposure and not got on the Naim merry-go-round TBH.

Jon Farlowe was (is?) a Shahinian fan, so Compasses, Arcs, Obelisks couold b e an oiption.

Jason

I had a 4DR2. Used mainly with an Exposure XX1 pre which Ive still got. Used in the past with SF Signums , Royd Doubletts, Epos es 11 + 22s. Also WB Arcs. All sounded pretty good.
Always fancied trying a pair of Neats. You think the Elites are bright ?

I had the same amp set up for many years (95-06), and had great success with Isobariks and Neat MFS (especially the Neats). Tried them with Epos ES14 and AE1s with less positive results. The Elites can be a bit up front at times: perhaps look at the Neat Momentum range? In terms of older speakers, the usual suspects to try are Shahinian Elf, Vandersteen Model 1 (John Farlowe used to dem the set up with a pair), and various Royds.

Vandersteen Model 1 (John Farlowe used to dem the set up with a pair)

Ah! Thanks for the verification Theo, I knew JF used Vandersteens at some point but couldn't for the life of me remember which ones they were. They did sound particularly good...but then again being driven by Exposure what wouldn't ;)

I've run Quad ESL-57's and Tannoy DMT-15's since 1993 with an Exposure 15. I have also run Linn Tukan, ATC SCM7 and Tannoy System 1000's with an Exposure 18S in my other system since 1999. No particular problem with any of the above.

If he managed to get Vandie Ones sounding half decent, must have been a hell of an amp!

He was using a pair of Mono XVIs - they are superb amps!

In his Malaysian system, he was using Shahinian Hawks with the XVIs - I always fancied trying that combination...

There is no magical combination related to amplifier/loudspeaker combo. The Farlowe era amplifiers would bring out the best of past and modern best loudspeakers. This is not alchemy.

IMO the way you need to address this is to find out which speakers work well in your room, positioned as they are and playing to your ears.

Then find an amp that will run them. This means no SE valve jobs running Isobariks or Quad 405s running anything <6 ohm and no Krells running superefficient Tannoys. Than you're done.

Step 1 is far harder than the second bit.

I must admit I was thinking much the same as TLS/Steve but didn't want to be a misery. Exposure are just regular we'll made amps- there is nothing weird about them. Use whatever regular speakers you like best. All you have here is a list of regular speakers people have used all of which unsurprisingly sounded good to whoever chose to buy them. The neats I like best are the MFS but I can't afford them, they have the authority of a floorstander and the focus of a stand mount.

I'm not keen on any of the Neat speakers that use multiple tweeters (not keen on the sound that is).

I had the same amp set up for many years (95-06), and had great success with Isobariks and Neat MFS (especially the Neats). Tried them with Epos ES14 and AE1s with less positive results. The Elites can be a bit up front at times: perhaps look at the Neat Momentum range? In terms of older speakers, the usual suspects to try are Shahinian Elf, Vandersteen Model 1 (John Farlowe used to dem the set up with a pair), and various Royds.

Theo, were these Elite SX or SE ?
Presently looking into these here...

I had some Elite SE with a Naim 202/200 and thought it was a great match and the only Neat speakers I've liked so far.

advertisement

Back