Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers that sound BIG and don't look like droids

Discussion in 'audio' started by jamesd, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

It has the advantage of not being a 2-way.

I guess I should have specified 2-way speakers using SP1014...

2. Cappuccino

Cappuccino pfm Member

Vivid Audio Giya G3 - look amazing from every angle and sound to boot. Also come in any colour you can think of, what's not to like.
    [​IMG]

3. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I'm not keen on them tbh. Looks a bit like a droid anorl. I'd be surprised if they didn't sound amazing though :)

4. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

They look awful from every angle.

5. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I prefer my ESLs, for looks, to the large boxes like Tannoys and all the droid type speakers on this thread. One droid is fine, but two is one too many in any room I think. Here’s mine with subwoofers, this dingy morning

[​IMG]

When I eventually have to get them serviced I may do something fun with the covers (socks or stockings - I can never remember the word!) But as it happens I rather like the brown speaker and black sub combination.

Dirkster, hifinutt and Darren like this.
  6. RichShortland

RichShortland pfm Member

I've found the Boenicke range seem to defy physics, with a much bigger sound than you would expect for the size, especially the little W5 (below).
    And they are very wife/partner friendly. Definitely one on my list for the future.

[​IMG]

7. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Beautiful, if a little expensive ...

8. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

That looks like a nice room @mandryka I really like the architectural features but why so many bongs?

gustav_errata and mandryka like this.
  9. Darren

Darren Murder City Devil

Love your set up and lighting. Do those 'statics really work so near corners? Or is it just the image that makes them look that way?

10. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

That is because they have a build in Loudness:
    [​IMG]

Paul Burke likes this.
  11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Thanks. I'm never going to see my collection of Italian art glass in the same light again.

Thanks.

Yes they're about 5' away from the corners and there's a bay window on the right, just out of view. The one on the left may be more than 5' from the corner.

The lighting was a great surprise when I put up the bass traps -- all traps need an uplighter.

Darren L and Darren like this.
  12. Cappuccino

Cappuccino pfm Member

Shot down in flames

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Sort of reminded me of

[​IMG]

htm_1968, Tigerjones and Del monaco like this.
  14. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

@Vivid Audio Giya G3:

SCNR.:oops:

Darren L likes this.
  15. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

One man's meat is another man's Poison

16. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

They look like Klein bottles:

[​IMG]

Darren likes this.
  17. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

Got the W5SE right now.. amazing things. I’m now in a new house and new room though. I just heard a pair of Audio Physic Tempo 35 on the end of a Pathos Classic One Mk III at the local shop and thinking I might try out that combo at home.

18. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

[​IMG]

Amplifiers that look like a droid:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]