advertisement

Speakers on laminate flooring

Just picked my slate up from the stone-cutter and they look/sound really good, quite pleased to have re-purposed something I was going to sling out.

Quick question, do you think a piece of yoga mat or similar, between the slate and laminate floor would make any difference?

Just picked my slate up from the stone-cutter and they look/sound really good, quite pleased to have re-purposed something I was going to sling out.

Quick question, do you think a piece of yoga mat or similar, between the slate and laminate floor would make any difference?

From all My reading about this, if the slate is big and heavy enough to absorb the movement from the speakers, then yes a layer of yoga mat should again make an improvement.

No idea about the sound...

But as a practicing yoga teacher, I would definitely NOT put yoga mats between the laminate floor and the slate/speakers. The mats we use are supposed to be non-slip making moving your speakers around a real pain. There is also a risk of the mats marking the laminate given the weight of slate.

The non-slip yoga mat isnt a goer then, I'll go for the felt option. I was though toying with some cheapish rubber/sorbathane feet type pads - they can be picked up pretty cheaply on amazon but probably over kill.. I'd also be worried that one might collapse overnight with the speaker toppling over!

A pair of Voodoo stands really make a difference. Problem is you can't find them these days, but someone may have a pair.

I'd try the felt pads to stop marking the floor and ease movement. How has the sound changed then?
Roughly how heavy are the pieces is slate sadly not something I have laying about but i would like to try something similar

I am in a first floor flat with laminate over wooden floorboards and the sound was a mess. I made plinths for my Tannoys with kerbstones (paving slabs ring like a bell), rubber composite matting for putting under washing machines. Kerbstones sandwiched between two layers of rubber mat and a layer of underlay on very bottom to allow for movement.

Clean bass down to 30hz and just a little room mode around 40hz to do with the room dimensions and not the floor.

The non-slip yoga mat isnt a goer then, I'll go for the felt option. I was though toying with some cheapish rubber/sorbathane feet type pads - they can be picked up pretty cheaply on amazon but probably over kill.. I'd also be worried that one might collapse overnight with the speaker toppling over!
My rack has circular marks on both the glass and the bamboo levels - marks created by the sorbothane feet of Msision Isoplat platforms...

cool what tannoys are running then? where did you get the matting for a washing machine?

It’s this stuff:

https://www.floormats.co.uk/washing...KEelPqTDKpjRDKqe7i48fZYZHJFBluuUaArpXEALw_wcB

They’re Chatsworths with 12” MGs. Before I made these plinths I couldn’t get them to image at all and bass was missing in action. In my previous flat I had a concrete floor and was always fighting excessive bass - I used wooden stands that placed them about 8” higher than I have them now.

My plinths wouldn’t suit everyone but luckily my partner appreciates the slightly DIY aesthetic. She says they look like Liquorice Allsorts :)

nothing so exotic here tannoy DC6T on a concrete floor lovely deep bass and sounded tight as a drum on wooden floor with laminate all over the place and booming at low frequency I will try this see if works
thanks

Yes, put some felt pads under, you then can move it a bit if needed without damaging floor.
This was my logic when I had this arrangement. What was below the marble didn't seem to make much odds sonically, but being able to move with ease if I tried another pair of speakers or to vacuum up the dust bunnies which accumulate around the back was handy. I had discrete pencil marks so I could quickly reset to optimum positioning for my own speakers!

advertisement

Back