advertisement

Speakers for Tony

Takes all sorts. I suppose.
I'll be moving to Genelec sooner or later, but otherwise I'd take a pair of JBL LSR 6332. Maybe a little too real for audiophile tastes, and, of course, not toob friendly.
A truly modern take on the coaxial speaker are the equator audio range, which sound very good, but at a totally non-audiophile price.
Again, toobs need not apply, but this is 2011 after all.

Those Equator speakers are the spit of the old University co -ax made many moons ago..............so maybe not totally new really....what is?

I don't mind saying that I look to Tony for some sort of leadership when it comes to things audio. I was just about to buy some Harbeths but now I'll have to wait and see.

I'm guessing he has a some great Tellerium Q interconnects, but there are some things I won't do.

Your Pal from the thawing tundra....
(+12 Celsius today)

Louballoo

I don't mind saying that I look to Tony for some sort of leadership when it comes to things audio. I was just about to buy some Harbeths but now I'll have to wait and see.

I'm guessing he has a some great Tellerium Q interconnects, but there are some things I won't do.

Your Pal from the thawing tundra....
(+12 Celsius today)

Louballoo

Louballoo

No one is as good as you at knowing what you like.

You could sit down in front of Tony's system and think it is total crap.

Your ears are the only judge.

Mick

Louballoo

No one is as good as you at knowing what you like.

You could sit down in front of Tony's system and think it is total crap.

Your ears are the only judge.

Mick

If I was drinking Tony's beer, then I could grow to like it. (don't worry - you guys in the UK are safely across the ocean)

Louballoo

A truly modern take on the coaxial speaker are the equator audio range, which sound very good,

Those Equator speakers look exactly like the old University co ax made many years ago................so maybe new materials but an old idea.

Tellerium Q, PAH! Puny Earthling. Venusian X.

%7BD8F218A2%2DF2CE%2D4424%2DA380%2D4E09079D066E%7D%2Ejpg

Jonathan, here is a list of alcoholic beverages that can be found on the enterprise, please let us know which one you have been at:
* Beer
o Andorian ale
o Bajoran ale
o Breshtanti ale
o Cardassian ale
o Hazari ale
o Kesatian ale
o Michelob
o Romulan ale
o Toffa ale
o Trakian ale
o Xarantine ale
o Yridian ale

* Brandy
o Acamarian brandy
o Altairian brandy
o Alvanian brandy
o Antarean brandy
o Saurian brandy
o Yridian brandy

* Chech'tluth
* Gin
* Kanar
* Malkothian spirits
* Martini
* Rum
* Sherry
* Samarian sunset
* Tequila

* Whiskey
o Aldebaran whiskey
o Scotch whisky
o Irish whiskey
o Skagaran whiskey
o Tennessee whiskey
o Kentucky bourbon
o Poteen

* Wine
o Château d'Yquem
o Château Lafite Rothschild
o Château Mouton Rothschild
o Chateau Picard
o Bloodwine
o Firewine
o Springwine
o Tulaberry wine
o Champagne
+ Altairian Grand Premier
+ Chateau Cleon
+ Chateau Coeur
+ Dom Pérignon
+ Kandora champagne
+ Korris I
+ Saint Emilion
+ Talaxian champagne

Some of the prosound speaker makers such as B&C and Beyma also make co-ax drivers, some of which are rather good.

"The 15" model is certainly on my 'to consider' list, I'm less interested in the smaller plastic cone versions. They seem very thin on the ground and when they do turn up look a bit tattier than I'd be prepared to entertain. That's a speaker I'd want in close to mint condition as it's not something you could restore the way a wood veneer can be."

Spot on -- consider only the System DMT15 MKII rather than any of the the smaller units. The paper driver is wonderful. The plastic drivers have a noticeable 'shout' in them. The DMT15 MKII is a true monitor and so sounds its best when juiced a little. They sound quite wonderful at moderate sound pressure levels ... they sound 'better' at higher levels. This is critical...they require an amp that can really move current quickly to sound their best....NAIM 250 was first to get them really going, Avondale 260 was better yet. They sound good on the ground. They sound 'better' on a 10" stand (in my room). They don't require a super-tweeter. They do have a crossover. And you sold your earlier Tannoys....

So, see if you can find a pair of Reference 3a Royal Master Controls -- from that period when they were manufactured in Switzerland. I lived with a pair for 5 years and they were fine companions. (I've heard the de Capo and it was not as good a speaker; I've not heard their more recent floor standing models.) No crossover, and you'll know it! Good weight (but not Tannoy). Easy load, easy to drive, sweet, moderate size, musical.

I moved from the Reference 3a speakers immediately to the Tannoy DMT15 MKIIs about 9 years ago. The Tannoys were brand new, so required running it. It took me perhaps a month or two to either run them in properly OR to learn how to ignore its crossover because every other thing they brought to the party was so amazing.

Good luck.

WTS

Tony,

Another shout out for the Tannoy DMT15 MKII's. I don't often listen any louder than you do, perhaps a little quieter, and very much enjoy these 'speakers. I ran them successfully on the ground, and now on Ikea stools of some sort. They worked very well with the Manley Stingray (40W, EL84) and now working happily with a Lyngdorf TDAI2200 (and a Velodyne DD15 just for fun).

Good luck sorting this out.

Stuart.

PS - I intend to put the Stingray back into service with the Heresys when we settle into the new house, with the Tannoy's taking up residence in the man cave.

I did very briefly try Jonathan's ESL57 in my room and felt I could probably get them to work, so Quads are a potential candidate. I didn't find them thin sounding at my usual listening levels (around 75-80db at listening seat), so no issues there. The problem I did have was some weird dust attraction thing when I was playing records, I couldn't get through a side without a huge ball of dust finding it's way to the stylus, I have a feeling the deck or arm was somehow picking up a charge from the relatively close proximity of the left hand speaker. This was with spotlessly clean records, I even cleaned one on the VPI just prior to playing to prove the point. IIRC I have since changed the whole vinyl front end, I think I was using the Spacedeck, Hadcock and DL110 back then (now 301, M2-10, AT33PTG).

Tony.

Blimey, were you playing Van der Graaf Generator?

Tony, I did notice that Mayflower Sounds near Doncaster have some Tannoys ex-demo, but I think they one of the recent wardrobes for millionaires models.

That Mayflower seems to be your kind of Tannoys 'n tubes shop, mind.

Space, the final frontier. To seek out new Tannoys and new transducers..etc

(you are welcome to borrow the 57s, but we need to twist somebodies arm to taxi as the current FatMobile is too small)

Anything on the immediate radar?

Tony, I did notice that Mayflower Sounds near Doncaster have some Tannoys ex-demo, but I think they one of the recent wardrobes for millionaires models.

After the whole Harbeth thing I'm feeling decidedly risk-adverse, and whilst I certainly know I really, really like Canturburys (which are out of reach financially even second hand) I have no idea if I like the smaller modern models or not. I've never heard Turnburys, Stirlings etc, and note that they not only have smaller drivers but also a different tweeter design and higher crossover frequency, in other words they are a whole different thing so must be filed under 'unknown'. As such I'm tempted just to hold out for a really nice pair of Lancasters with 15" Golds. A nice looking pair went up on eBay yesterday. There is also the prospect that my old pair may find their way back, I need to see how the current owner is progressing with them - he's got a fabulous 300B amp, though IME they want more grunt than that tube can push out.

(you are welcome to borrow the 57s, but we need to twist somebodies arm to taxi as the current FatMobile is too small)

Anything on the immediate radar?

Thanks for the very kind offer, though no need to borrow anything as I'm in no rush here and very lucky in that I've got two systems, I'm actually really enjoying listening to the 303 / Heresy system, it does a lot of things very right to my ears. I'll take the Heresys through to the main room for a holiday too.

Quads are still hovering around to do list, I'm tempted to land a pair myself at some point - I came very close to buying the pair Cannonman had advertised recently, and in many respects wish I had, though it may only have delayed the Harbeth mistake, not negated it. Certainly Quad 57s are on my 'known good / safe to buy' list, which at the moment only really comprises vintage Tannoys, Quad 57s and larger Klipsch, though the latter is largely academic as the prospect of finding a nice tidy yet affordable pair of LaScalas in the UK is close to zero.

Tony.

advertisement

Back