advertisement

Speakers for Sudgen A21 SE Signature and perhaps for Naim NaNaHi

Hififriend

pfm Member
Hello community.
So I'm a proud owner of a used Sudgen A21 SE Signature which I really appreciate.
In some hours I'll try the Duo G1 horns with it, still too drunk as, after the dentist, I did celebrate my birthday a little later and after connecting will go on celebrating.
27 m2 (5,7 x 4,6 km)

These are the candidates, which perhaps will also be a good match with Naim Nac 282/Nap250/Hicap/CDX2.2/XPS2 (Naim stage line M + Rega P3), but Sudgen has the biggest priority:

Top 3:

ProAc D2R
Harbeth HL5 plus
Jean-Marie Reynaud Bliss

Last 5:

PMC 25 22
Dynaudio monitor
Focal monitor
Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 1

My music will be: 70s rock, Jazz, female voices, Mozart Händl Bach, Metal, Death metal, some death classics

Thanks for any advices:
I found a shop who has 2 of the top 3 and a Sudgen amplifier

I wanna listen at nights at low volume and 75 db volume in the day.
B&W DM 580 are too mellow, not enough details, but amazing for Mozart, and acoustic guitar, cymbals sound not metallic enough, electric guitars sound too warm. Nils Lofgren even not harsh enough

B&W DM 601 S2 sounds too metallic, too responsive, too much details, too fatiguing after 2 hours but good wide soundstage.

B&W DM 100i has nothing at all at the room is too big for the smarties

Soundstage is really important, then details (responsive) and imaging, no harshness allowed, not a too warm boring character for longer listenings, a little melting away is ok, but Dynamics still are, deepest bass is not so important

Thanks for now.
Kind regards.
HF

I'm confused. Why would you want to downgrade your speakers from AG Duo horns? :confused:
I'll keep the horns. I'm in the mood to get some decent monitors as my most expensive monitors ever were 250 GBP B&W DM 601 S2 bought new in 2000 with fantastic Linn Kan stands. Everything connected. Looking forward to Sudgen with Avantgarde now. 2 minutes to go :)

No soundstage hello ..... does the Sudgen need some time?
Nelson "After the rain" is playing on the CDX2.2 / XPS2
90ies shitty CD
Diana Krall and Mozart following in half an hour

warming up, sounds really good. Wow. First time Hard rock sounds listenable through my horns. Love you sweet weak class A kiss kiss kiss but what's interesting to see is the horns still keep their tonality. But: Sudgen remote control controls Naim CDX2.2 Volume up shows the track on the CDP, track right plays the next track on the CD .... so 1 remote control only needed :) change of CD, Nelson beginning to suck, now some Pearl Jam "Ten" ...there is some hum ! not perceptive after 60 dB. 7 tracks played, Jeremy spoke in class today, wow still so very responsive, suppose a tube amplifier will tame the horns a little bit more, but it works and so many details I never heard before (except on headphones with a Sudgen/Grado combo) because I never could bare hard rock with the horns and Naim :)

When I bought my SE Signature it was with the intention of pairing it with some Tannoy Devon's, I had the HPD drivers but the logistics of getting the enclosures up from the South Coast took months, and in their absence I was persuaded to order and try some Falcon Q7s, the ones with the gold badge crossover.

When the Tannoy enclosures finally arrived I'd already had a few evenings with the Falcon/Sugden combination. Even in the first hour I was becoming convinced that nothing else would fit my room and taste so well. Over six months it has revealed itself to be a destination system for me.

This all reminds that I'll need to draft an ad for the white baby elephant Tannoys, I have tried them but miss the sweetness and precision of the Falcons too much.

That is interesting to me because all I had read prior to purchase had suggested that the Tannoys' efficiency and presentation would give me everything I wanted from the Sugden.

in contrast the Q7s were bought on a whim after I called Jerry Bloomfield to ask a question :)

I wouldn't recommend the Falcons per se, my taste is more for cold dissection than warmth and harmony, but I think the key lesson is to listen to your targets and some left field choices in your room and with an open mind.

Portuguese Fado playing: well I would not like it a lot warmer, perhaps a little bit. But when my Vaults 2 streams over a Rega Dac, it's a little less analytical then with the CDX2.2, both and the Vault 2 with its own Dac are connected. I like the sound. Stan Getz, Diana Krall and Stanley Kubrick soundtrack "Eyes wide shut" are next. And then I switch the Sudgen off.

@raysablade: I only had the intention to try something warmer out for my living room as I wanted finally to listen to my Rock music. Some private corner with nice monitors will bring some fun for the evenings. What I listen now is fantastic but it has to be listened at mid volume for all the emotions :) Playing at 18:30 and maximum is 8 0'clock on the volume. 104 db sensitivity speakers with active bass

advertisement

Back