advertisement

Speakers £3,000 Maximum Any Ideas

Don't forget to listen to Linn 242 mk2, which you will easily find used for 3000 GBP. They should work pretty well with NAP135's as I have heard them sound good with a 250 at sensible volume levels. For that used price it's quite a lot of speaker.

I've never heard many of the speakers that have been suggested so far, cheers everyone.
Something I almost forgot about which I heard years ago, Briks. I also heard some Hartbeth SHL5 speakers today which sounded easy on the ear.
I guess the only true test is in my own room where they will have to be positioned in a corner more or less back to the wall which will have a major bearing on the performance of most speakers.

Blimey Pete, you want a speaker which isn't too harsh sounding, in a hard floored room, placing the speakers in the corners & close to the rear wall.
Not impossible (maybe) but it's not going to be easy.
No rear ports, lots of toe-in,, you may get away with it, but it's going to be tricky.
Under the circumstances, Shahanian Arcs would be my latest guess. At least they can be easily moved around the room for listening sessions & then replaced close to the rear wall & corners when not in use.
Best of luck.

sounds like a lot of people reccomending perfectly fine speakers for a good acoustic, that do nothing to tame a bad sounding room?

Blimey Pete, you want a speaker which isn't too harsh sounding, in a hard floored room, placing the speakers in the corners & close to the rear wall.
Not impossible (maybe) but it's not going to be easy.
No rear ports, lots of toe-in,, you may get away with it, but it's going to be tricky.
Under the circumstances, Shahanian Arcs would be my latest guess. At least they can be easily moved around the room for listening sessions & then replaced close to the rear wall & corners when not in use.
Best of luck.

Like you said not it's going to be easy. I honestly never gave this a thought before we moved here until I plugged the hifi in and thought it had been damaged in transit. The Rega R5s do a decent job but as you know we're all a bit mad on here, always searching for the Holy Grail.
The Arcs were close though apart from the top end.
I daren't even post a picture of how the room is laid out as the experts on here would probably have me committed.

Trouble is, I can't think of a speaker which isn't affected by side wall reflections which could do justice to the rest of you system.
Would some of the electro-static stuff such as magnaplaners for instance work?
Maybe one of the digital room treatment gadgets?
Kinda straw-clutching from me, at the moment!
Matt.

Hi Matt.. look at the speakers in my posts. The JBL's do this at £1300. They have a smaller version at £900. B&O speakers I linked to do this too, at much higher cost.

Planar speakers beam sound (mostly), so are worth a shot.

I've just been sat here looking at the wall thinking about it! Think I'll get the DT dept to mock some up for me tomorrow so I can see what they look like. One of the reasons I wanted to move away from actives was so I could mess around with other types of amps/speakers etc. However I think I'll just put the miniwatt in the spare room and leave my planned DIY build for the future. Now if I could just find a used pair.......

I've placed them on about 5 different forums with no joy and would know if anyone here or on the wam owned some. I'll demo and if I'm blown away by them I'll but new but I worry with all the kit swapping I've done recently I'll get bored and want to move them on at a loss!

I've tried but no-one has stock. TBH I think they can sell them faster than they can produce them so a discount looks unlikely though I got a good quote from one of the distributors. Anyway we're starting to hijack this thread. I'll continue over on 'system dilemma'......

advertisement

Back