advertisement

Speakers £3,000 Maximum Any Ideas

Keep well away from PMC! overrated and overpriced,

B&W 805 diamond.
ATC
dynaudio confidence
sonus faber auditor M

I'm very happy with my recently purchased Audio Physic Virgo 3's

£1500 or less used if you can find a pair.

Paul.

Hi Pete, hope you are well. Give Bob a call at Neat (N Yorks) have a bit of a B&B break in the dales and go to the factory. He will play you the range with Naim as he uses that to voice the speakers. A very nice man and true music enthusiast; you can't lose.

when adventures in hifi where based at Wigan I went to dem some speakers, they really pushed the PMC range and I listened to quite a few, even ones I couldn't afford and tbh they all sounded very flat and two dimensional, I was very dissapointed, not with the shop but the speakers, then they put some shahinians on and well they are the strangest sounding speakers iv'e ever heard, i'm still not sure whether I like them or not but they are certainly different

I'd look at the 2nd hand Focals in the classifieds here, or some Kudos.
Mind you, with a hard reflective floor etc combined with the Naim amps, I'd say you'll have your work cut out to get anything not to sound a bit harsh at times.
Best of luck
Matt.

Just logged on after watching The Kings Speech on DVD. Thanks for all the advice folks.
I have not heard the Kudos but a chap at the shop where I demoed the PMC and Proacs thought they would not be to my liking even though they had them; reason a bit forward and I do like a laid back not in your face sound [Why have I got Naim?]. Thats what attracted me to the PMC FB1i speakers in the first place. I have heard Spendors but not in demo and only in passing so I haven't really a firm opinion on them.
I will look into the Huddersfield or maybe the Leeds dealers for Harbeth. I assumed the dealers at Huddersfield wasn't a proper shop type dealer but I will look them up first as they are only a 1/2 hour away.
Are the Focals a forward type of speaker or fairly neutral?

I am more inclined to buy new with speakers as it is hard to demo secondhand and speakers are perhaps more likely to be damaged secondhand than say perhaps an amp but feel free to put me right on this one.

then they put some shahinians on and well they are the strangest sounding speakers iv'e ever heard, i'm still not sure whether I like them or not but they are certainly different

I loved the Shahinian Arcs but not the top end on some vocals. The bass and mid filled the room up beautifully but when Van the Man was in full I don't give fu*k mode then it was painful.

Yes and a lot better, the fb1 were a £1200 design speaker now what are they £2500?? way overpriced for such.

I think they went up by £300 in April which is taking the mick, but if they sound better than comparably priced speakers then I will go for them. A few more to listen to yet though.

Are you dissatisfied with your existing speakers in any way? You have a dificult room it seems, so how about room treatment?

Not dissatisfied, just want better seeing as I've upgraded my amp spec. As for the room I don't want to start putting down rugs as it would defeat the object of a hard floor plus you haven't met our cat; he tends to treat carpets as a litter tray so I don't want to encourage him.

Pete
You may find the Focals on the fwd side of neutral. They have a very detailed & powerful presentation. With 52/135's & a hard sounding room they may (or may not) work.
In the right set up, they are superb, but you'd need to try them first to see if they are to your liking.
Matt.

Try and audition WB Arcs. I ran my ones with a 52/135 set up on a number of occasions. Always sounded great. Source was a RA Opus 21.

I have heard plenty of people report a harsh top end with arcs and found the same myserlf.......

The chap who kindly lent me the Arcs also found them bright in his systems and he has some real quality gear, Krell etc. He probably had more gear in his house than most dealers have on display; and he had carpet and plenty of furniture which probably helps to tame things a bit.

I had some MA GR60s which were very bright in the kitchen, best upgrade ever was a £50 carpet remnant, cheap enough to change every two years. Could that be worth a try along with some cat training?

advertisement

Back