advertisement

Speaker signatures using YouTube

herb

brain's right hemisphere
I spent some time recently using YouTube to investigate speakers. OK there are limitations but using my Quad planar headphones I could very easily hear the differences between sonic signatures that I have heard in real life. Has anyone else tried this? Here are my favourite Quad ESLs

Don’t know, but listening to the Archie Shepp Quartet now, thanks. It has the some picture on the cover as a Fairground Attraction album.

Its as much about how its been recorded as anything else. I dont think you can capture the essence of a system replayed over you tube and replayed on your system. I use both my main rig or stax kgss and 009s often when listening to these systems and its a bit of fun no more.Put it this way i would not be buying anything based solely on a system playing on you tube nor would i dismiss something i thought sounded horrible.

Don’t know, but listening to the Archie Shepp Quartet now, thanks. It has the some picture on the cover as a Fairground Attraction album.

The original was taken by Elliott Erwitt in the 1950s. One of my favourite photographers.

Its as much about how its been recorded as anything else. I dont think you can capture the essence of a system replayed over you tube and replayed on your system. I use both my main rig or stax kgss and 009s often when listening to these systems and its a bit of fun no more.Put it this way i would not be buying anything based solely on a system playing on you tube nor would i dismiss something i thought sounded horrible.

I agree and so much of the music played is of no interest to me, guitar and some lady singing. I am amused though how I can tell the real overall differences between ESLs, Tannoys and Harbeths on YouTube! Of course source, amps and mics used ultimately make comparisons suspect.

I tried to do some YouTube vids of my tannoys using well known music but it just got pulled all the time due to copyright. I have managed with some reasonable stuff now but not well known

Thanks for info. Oh well it was worth a try and it is quite revealing...:)

I guess copyright is an issue though but anything is of interest as long as it is not taken too seriously. There is plenty of material already on YouTube. It is a fun game.

I tried to do some YouTube vids of my tannoys using well known music but it just got pulled all the time due to copyright. I have managed with some reasonable stuff now but not well known
Kindly link to your channel sir!

Here is something like the sound of Harbeth c7es3s, my current speaker - though my system is more earthy and dramatic (CDX2.2, ATC Integrated). Pining for ESL57s...

advertisement

Back