Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker recommendations for a 300B SET amplifier - small room

Discussion in 'audio' started by Yivez, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Wilson and Linus like this.
  2. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

MM da Capo, a good call. One of the best small speakers ever made (commercially).

Wilson likes this.
  3. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

Klipsch Heresy or Forte. For use with a 300B amplifier the speakers should ideally be 98dB and above efficiency...

Linus likes this.
  4. G T Audio

The amp in the picture is using KT88s in parallel single-ended. This will produce a lot more than 9 watts. If properly done (which would surprise me) it should be possible to get about 25 watts in triode mode.
    If you are using a 300B amplifier you need to be looking at big efficient speakers, otherwise don't bother.

hifinutt likes this.
  5. Yivez

Yivez Active Member

Do you think the Heresy would work in nearfield listening position (6ft)?

6. sjs

sjs Trade: SJS Electroacoustics

Snell K, or J, possibly AN K or J, consider Heco Direkt 2-way if you can accommodate the Js on stands

LVs prefer to live in space away from walls, so probably not ideal in this case.

Small room and close listening distance means speakers don't need to be 100dB efficient, unless you like to listen loud :D

AndrewR, hifinutt and chris@panteg like this.
  7. MARKY758

MARKY758 Active Member

Proac speakers work well with low powered tube amps. I used to have an Audion Sterling EL34 driving Proac Studio 100 and got great results. I bought the Proacs from a seller who demonstrated them with a Minstrel Tube Amp. Although not as sensitive as Snell or Audio Note etc they are smaller in size.

8. G T Audio

I don't see why not. I've seen people sitting at that distance using Avantgarde Unos & Duos in a room 10ft x 10ft and getting a huge amount of enjoyment...

9. Euan

Euan pfm Member

A pair of AN Js just gone up for sale on the Wam. They look loverly.

hifinutt likes this.
  10. earlofsodbury

earlofsodbury Wastrel.

Time and again I see people tie themselves up in knots trying to make standmounts work with low powered amps - stop doing this to yourselves!

A moderately-sized floorstander takes up exactly the same amount of floorspace as standmounts-on-stands, looks less ungainly, and is somewhat more physically stable, as well as being easier to drive.

If room integration is an issue, look for front-ported (e.g. most Triangles, many Focals, &c.), or sealed-box (e.g. Audionote UK and their Snell predecessors).

Heco Direkt 'Einklang' are a leftfield alternative - single driver with a whizzer cone, base-ported, wide-ish baffle but narrow front-to-back, and thrive close to walls. Pricier, but not entirely dissimilar are Zu's various offerings, worth a try if a used pair comes-up at a sane price.

chris@panteg, AndrewR and hifinutt like this.