Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker recommendations for a 300B SET amplifier - small room

Discussion in 'audio' started by Yivez, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Yivez

Yivez Active Member

I am looking for recommendations for a speaker suitable for a 300B SET amplifier (9W) that can work 6ft(1.8m) from my listening position and can't be more than 50cm from the front wall. The speakers are positioned just over 2m apart, and there is over a meter distance from sidewalls.

I tend to like bookshelf speakers or speakers with a small footprint. However, they need circa 90dB or more to get the best from the system in terms of sensitivity. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices. Am I chasing rainbows?

Happy to buy second-hand or new and budget is up to £4k.

Your help is much appreciated.

2. oldius

oldius Can pleasure be measured?

300B amps work best with efficient speakers. Unfortunately, that is hard to properly achieve with small boxes and I, personally, would rethink your amplifier choices given your room.

3. mr sneff

mr sneff pfm Member

These work well close to the wall in small rooms and with small tube amps

4. mr sneff

mr sneff pfm Member

You'd need to make a quick decision though, 2 or 3 people are suddenly interested.......

5. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Snell/Audio Note K will fit purpose

Wilson, sjs, Si74 and 2 others like this.
  6. Yivez

Yivez Active Member

Thanks this is one speaker I had considered and ideally try in the room

7. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

Definitely Snell or AN K. Get the right stands too.

Miss Ariel likes this.
  8. Bairnstorm

Bairnstorm pfm Member

Tannoy used to do a little speaker. Can't remember what is was called.

9. TCar

TCar pfm Member

Autograph Mini but it's not 90db. I used them with a 12 watt Leben cs300 but dont know if they would work with this amp. Very fine little speaker it is though

10. RoA

RoA pfm Member

11. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

autograph mini, strangely it is not for a low powered amps

12. RichardAusten

RichardAusten pfm Member

You might also consider the AN J - It has significantly deeper bass and more dynamic ease. Can be placed right up against the wall as well and about 3dB more sensitive.

They really aren't that much bigger - it will depend on the room interaction. (K,J, E)

[​IMG]

I love the K - Owned a set in 2003 and own a pair again today along with the E and AX Two.

I also had the J/SPe for 13 years.

Shove em into corners if you have them available

[​IMG]
    (Gearbox Records)

PhilofCas, Vincent52 and chris@panteg like this.
  13. Yivez

Yivez Active Member

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't considered the AN-J's (size) but looking at the image they are not much bigger but with greater sensitivity and frequency response.

14. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

15. Linus

Linus pfm Member

16. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Klipsch Heresy? Tannoy Eaton? Living Voice? It's not exactly easy to find small speakers that are very sensitive but perhaps some larger sensitive speakers will work in a smaller room?

17. Euan

Euan pfm Member

In my experience LV won't work with flea powered amps. I had a 16w 845 and the OBX R2s were a poor match.

18. cupples

cupples pfm Member

Triangles tend to have higher sensitivity and in my experience work well with valves, but I've only used smaller bookshelves such as Cometes, although the Titus is often recommended.

19. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Used opera Callas with 9wpc 300b in near field.in a small room Sound like a LS3/5a with better bass & dynamics
    Italian so Also look fantastic
    Callas - OperaLoudspeakers EN

[​IMG]

Salamander, Linus and hifinutt like this.
  20. Yivez

Yivez Active Member

They certainly look the business!