advertisement

Speaker placement

alcarmichael

pfm Member
I'm in the process of buying a new house and am planning the most important part of the house - the stereo. Some research has taught me that speakers should be firing the along the length of the room, then I have read the exact opposite where readings have been taken in rectangular rooms to suggest that speakers firing along the width of the room shows less room interaction. Thoughts and opinions please....

This particular room measures 612cm x 422 cm (20'1 x 13'10). Room height I'm not sure of but it's an older property with pretty decent ceiling height.

Large speakers : parallel to the longest wall. This gives the best sound stage.
Small speakers : parallel to the smaller wall to emphasis the bass.
Works for me.

Until you are in the room, with carpets, curtains and furniture installed.... it will be impossible to guess or second guess which is best. So many many systems are tied by the practicalities of using the room that you are rarely in a position to decide until you get some experimentation done within the limits available to you.

Enter your room’s dimensions and potential speaker and listening position into REW’s ‘room simulation’ feature this will allow you to compare FRs for the various positional options.
Keith

Long wall.

I have moved mine a few times in the same room over 26 years. The long wall placement sounds best. Think about your intended sitting position, and try and not sit too close to the opposing wall/consider what is directly behind you.

Against the shorter wall, the speakers don't sound awful, but the soundstage is a lot bigger with space at the sides. I reckon.

Fiddling with speaker placement is one of the joys of hifi :)

I may move mine apart by 6" - I am sure it will sound better. (for a month or so)

advertisement

Back