advertisement

Speaker placement question

Bjork67

pfm Member
Awkard listening room box room but ffs more length than girth , if im listening length ways im listening side on to speakers. Would it always better to listen straight on even though the speakers are not very far apart or would you lay and suffer with a wider sound stage.

I would say 14 foot long and 8 foot wide but being a box room that takes 4 foot off the width. I think i will have to stick to side on or just carry on shuffling gear about undecided.

Put the kit along the narrow wall.... Assuming your speakers are front ported, have the speaker baffles 3 feet away from the rear wall and 5 feet apart centre to centre. Toe them in to suit. Sit about 3 feet from the rear wall.

What does the system consist of BTW?

I can’t quite visualise what your current arrangement is. Whichever way you orient the speakers, the ideal to try for is an equilateral (same length sides) triangle between yourself and the two speakers.

If you face sideways across a narrow room, you will need speakers that can work quite close to the wall on one side of the room, and somewhere to sit on the other side facing them.

Facing lengthways along the long axis of the room, you have more flexibility to bring the speakers and your seat away from the wall at each end, which can be better, but they will closer to the side wall as a result, which can cause reflections.

You will probably have to experiment a bit. If you google loudspeaker room placement, there are various guides and instruction which might help.

Pioneer N-50 streamer wharfedale reva2 speakers on stands most of the time , marantz pm8005 mission lx sommat other times.

I would say 14 foot long and 8 foot wide but being a box room that takes 4 foot off the width. I think i will have to stick to side on or just carry on shuffling gear about undecided.
does that make it 10 by 8 with a 4 foot by 4 foot bit the door opens into? or have you got a platform or a slope to give clearance for the stair well?
Do your speakers work back against the wall? What hifi seem to think so but...
Is there a bed in the room too, you mention laying down to listen and that would account for losing 4 feet but off the short dimension.
It’s quite hard to visualise what you’re contending with.

A prison cell would be better i know :) but at minute its what i'm putting up with. Yes its a bedroom , maybe if i ripped out the box part that would give me a bit more to play with ? But knowing my luck theres a 3 foot spider in there waiting to be released.

advertisement

Back