advertisement

Speaker cables.

You can read Lumina sheep talk over at green profit forum.

Some fun brainwash.

You will be told it needs 3 months run-in though and a full loom is needed.

They also sell
Super Lumina high end Speaker cable. The big question does it improve the sound quality above the standard NACA5?

Well that would be the 64000 thousand dollar question (or is that Nordost?).

I'd have thought a Naim dealer should be able to offer a demonstration of their after-market cables against their standard offering. You can have a listen for yourself and see if you think there's any benefit. The ideal scenario IMO would be a home trial, wire your system with Lumina for a few days, then go back to the bog-standard stuff and see if you miss the Lumina.

If you don't, then it's an itch you've scratched. If you do then that's between you and your bank...

Obviously anything on a hifi forum to do with 'system infrastructure,' ie. cables, racks, power distribution etc is a can of worms, but I'm guessing you'll have figured that out already.

Yes... so at best, if the cables electrical parameters are different enough to audibly change your speakers response, so what, you have purchased a very expensive and very crude tone control, what a waste of money.
Keith

Keith I’m not so sure it is a waste. You may have speakers that worked wonderfully in your room. You redecorate and oh dear it doesn’t sound how it did. What do you do start buying boxes, room control or cables.
For me cables would be by far the simplest solution to try, but maybe that’s just me

Then why not use a preamp with tone controls or a graphic equaliser? Why use a very hit and miss one outcome solution?
Audiophiles baffle me sometimes.

Chris

Chris, why would selecting cables be any more hit and miss than selecting a pre amp. Most kit sounds different to the next, it’s bloody hard putting a system together that sounds good. Cables sound different and you by what you like the sound off. Same as selecting boxes, I just don’t get why cables create such a stir

Keith I’m not so sure it is a waste. You may have speakers that worked wonderfully in your room. You redecorate and oh dear it doesn’t sound how it did. What do you do start buying boxes, room control or cables.
For me cables would be by far the simplest solution to try, but maybe that’s just me
Acoustically measuring your room,costs nothing except time, if something has been changed or is a problem it will be immediately apparent.
Your solution is to what, endlessly churn through interconnects and cables?
Room and speakers are where the real gains are to be had.
Keith

Foxman...you don't get why a pre amp with tone controls gives you more control over sound balance than adding a new cable which may sound no different or, in any case, has no predetermined outcome and further, is not then alterable?
And you're baffled??

Vereker, like Tifenbrun, was first and foremost a consummate marketing guy. Vereker, like Tiefenbrun, took existing designs , sprinkled them with marketing fairy dust, and made a fortune. And all power their elbows.

Chris
In my opinion Julian was first and foremost a passionate engineer. His life history is pretty well documented, and he was quite a character, motivated by curiosity and the love of engineering.

Thanks, for all the feed back from this thread. I've learnt lot about speaker cables, very informative. How about main cables, extension cables and multi plug sockets. I need to plug six boxes in to one plug extension cable. Will this course electronic interference?
It will damage the space-time continuum. So much so that I am going to have to get fresh coffee, popcorn and a comfy seat for the evening. Can you give me chance to get back to the hotel, say an hour, before the fun starts?

An odd, but true tale. I approached a dealer that I had used a couple of times with regards to changing my loudspeaker cable. The dealer is well known and is held in high regard.

" You need to find a dealer who will lend you the loudspeaker cable, so that you can asses it for yourself at home."

Good advice, you might say.

"Sound good to me; can I borrow some then?"

"No, sorry, we don't loan cables."

If speaker cables did in fact have the same effect as tone controls, presumably some speaker cables would be intentionally designed and expressly marketed as having the effect of tone controls. I'm not aware of any evidence of this. Have I missed something?

You've maybe missed that no cable designer could prove that their cable altered the sound in any electrically verifiable way, and therefore, can't make the claim.

Acoustically measuring your room,costs nothing except time, if something has been changed or is a problem it will be immediately apparent.
Your solution is to what, endlessly churn through interconnects and cables?
Room and speakers are where the real gains are to be had.
Keith
Measuring may cost nothing sorting it does not. Anyway we are moving away from my comment. T&E does not sound the same as most speaker cable.

Foxman...you don't get why a pre amp with tone controls gives you more control over sound balance than adding a new cable which may sound no different or, in any case, has no predetermined outcome and further, is not then alterable?
And you're baffled??

I’m baffled at where you got any of that from my comments, but again we are moving away from cables and my comments

You've maybe missed that no cable designer could prove that their cable altered the sound in any electrically verifiable way, and therefore, can't make the claim.

Are you sure about that, i have no idea if your right or wrong. Surely it would not be hard to record a trace of a signal direct from and amp and then measure again at the end of say a 5m set of speaker cables.

While im certain the signal would be different, whether this could be correlated into sound quality who knows. Mind you speaker traces are produced yet who would pick speakers this way.

Very interesting point really. But just because there is no data is not proof something does not exist.

Are you sure about that, i have no idea if your right or wrong. Surely it would not be hard to record a trace of a signal direct from and amp and then measure again at the end of say a 5m set of speaker cables.

While im certain the signal would be different, whether this could be correlated into sound quality who knows. Mind you speaker traces are produced yet who would pick speakers this way.

Very interesting point really. But just because there is no data is not proof something does not exist.

which is the entire basis of every cable thread since 1972, this being number 17,543,912 (ish).
About 2 years back I suggested that some PFM engineer did exactly as you propose. They said yes.
Patience is a fine attribute.

Also my opinion Keith.
As ever, I post that it is however possible to alter a cable signal by engineering in things that detract from the purity of the signal. This tunes the cable's sound. It's now NOT putting out what went in. Apparently one can charge huge amounts for this detraction and people flock to buy it. At some point in cable threads, someone proposes the car analogy. You wouldn't put retreads on a Porsche. Well DUH. That's exactly what tampered cable does. Simple OFC is Michelin's finest. Look no further.

advertisement

Back