advertisement

Speaker cables.

tyendra

Can anyone recommend speaker cables for my new system. Naim Nap 250DR - Nac282 Pre amp - Hicap DR
PMC5. 26. Speakers.

Any cable. They all sound the same so long as they are thick enough. Some twin and earth 2.5mm will work well and be very cheap as will any number of cheap no brand speaker cables from car audio places etc.

+1. For NAIM's own speaker cables

Q: Why?

A: I'm not a NAIM owner, but my local dealer recommends NAIM cables along with NIAM's own mains cable ..... BUT with a wild card caveat: a potential move to an all-LFD cables array

Linn K20 is £5 per meter and is apparently the same as Naim NACA4, and cost about 1/4 as much as NACA5. But I guess newer Naim gear doesn't need the special cable(?)

Newer Naim gear, such as the new Uniti range, is more tolerant of a wider range of speaker cables. The same is not true of a new 250DR, which will perform optimally with the correct length of Naim cable, or another cable with a similar spec. in terms of inductance and capacitance.

Linn K20 is £5 per meter and is apparently the same as Naim NACA4, and cost about 1/4 as much as NACA5. But I guess newer Naim gear doesn't need the special cable(?)

The Naim cable works out at £35.00 a metre. I have heard of speaker cable costing a couple of thousand pound a metre.

The Naim cable works out at £35.00 a metre. I have heard of speaker cable costing a couple of thousand pound a metre.
So you're saying Naim cable isn't expensive enough? I don't understand.

IMO why even get NACA5 if K20/NACA4 works the same and is nowm flexible?

Nac a5 seems to work well with Naim gear, it is designed electrically to match the amps, you can get hold of it at reasonable prices, I would opt for this rather than cheapo, "thick" or mains cable:rolleyes:.
It's available readily second hand.
Probably find some here if you do a search.

Aha, I certainly wouldn't either.

you can grab this stuff at bargain prices if you shop around,

My point was, if you hear no difference then sell on what you don't want, the more expensive would a be a good option of course :) , you will lose nothing on the second hand market.

If you have never tried nac a5, then your cable woes & myths read on forums may come to an end, once installed in the Naim set up, my experience with it anyway, not saying you will enjoy it, but you will certainly understand the clamour for it. Pit it against some twin & earth, sit back & enjoy.

Any cable. They all sound the same so long as they are thick enough. Some twin and earth 2.5mm will work well and be very cheap as will any number of cheap no brand speaker cables from car audio places etc.

I disagree with this. If this theory was right would we not still be using bell wire to wire up?

advertisement

Back