Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Cables, A Special Note (from ye olde Naim Audio)

Discussion in 'classic' started by Craig B, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Well, I regard needing specific cabling to avoid the risk of amp instability which might cause some damage as something to treat more cautiously than: "It is just a recommendation you do not have to abide by it"!

If I gave that "advice" and kit got damaged as a result the owner might feel I should pay them compensation, or at least apologise. So you might want to reconsider what you wrote.

Consider: Would you think it safe to say, "Fitting the specified fuse values is just a recommendation,,," ? I hope not.

2. Rallye_punk

Rallye_punk pfm Member

To be honest I doubt it would blow up it’s probably just arse covering in their part. Of course they want you to buy their cables too.

3. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I also think the probability of a "blow up" is low, statistically. The problem is not knowing the stability margin of the amps. Back in he early 1980s I saw an early amp show clear RF instability, but I assume later models are less prone to that.

However "probably" is fine in most cases, but if something is possible then someone may hit the spot and be 'unlucky'. If someone says not to worry about the advice, then they might find they get the blame when that happens.

On most car journeys you would have been OK not to wear a seat belt. But...

4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Amplifiers can blow up almost instantly and in some cases take the speakers out with them due to exactly this type of instability. Whether this applies to Naim amps is another matter...

5. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Not seen a Naim amp blow up. But have seen bursts of ultrasonic oscillation at a specific voltage level on output waveforms. e.g. at the same point on each cycle of a test sinewave. This was, however, decades ago.

6. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

That's how tested them.
    I saw many in repair/test that had blown up. By far the most common failure mode was a nearby lightning strike taking out the output stage and LTP. Unstable amps just tended to cook themselves and were easily seen in molten emitter resistors.

7. Rallye_punk

Rallye_punk pfm Member

Yes i'd imagine electrical surges are a far more common cause of 'blowing' amps rather than using a non manufacturer spec cable lol...

8. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Well, I can't recall any Armstrong amps being sent back for repair due to a mains 'surge'. Closest to that was the user who - for some reason of their own - decided the speaker outlets were for the mains input. 8-]

Hopefully, Naim amp failures are also rare, given that people may tend to follow the advice given by the makers.

But I've never seen any stats, either way.

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Nearby lightning strikes can take out just about anything. Much depends on whats connected to what obviously...
    I briefly worked at a place repairing DECT type landline phones when they first came out and there would be days when maybe a dozen all came in from one village/street where there had been an electrical storm! Usually all beyond economic repair.

10. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Cordless phones, fax machines and modems were a nightmare in Malaysia. The long phone line introduces massive surges referenced to the local mains. Always not covered by warranty.
    I have only seen HiFi die from direct strike to the house as only the mains supply goes outside unless you had an outdoor VHF antenna

Arkless Electronics likes this.