advertisement

Speaker Cables, A Special Note (from ye olde Naim Audio)

It was definitely 56 strand, in Red and Black, in fact it wasn't all that long ago that I threw mine out, it having been in the cupboard for many years. TBH though, Linn's K20 is just as good and is neater too.
All the spare cabling is under the guest room bed here. Some hasn't seen full light of day since when the earth was flat. I suspect that a good team of archeologists could trace loudspeaker cable trends back to the stone age under there. They may well have to call Sir Tony Robinson's Time Team in to explain the enigma that was the solid core mains wire with bananas on period, though.

Hi Guys

In My experience Naim amplifiers are much less sensitive to cable than some would have you believe. I own a Bolt together NAP160, NAP140 and a NAP250. I have used various cables including a cut up 240V 10amp extension lead, a generic 14 AWG flat cable (two flat conductors positioned side by side), and my preferred cable, based on cost and availability, is a generic 12 AWG two parallel cores available at my local electronics hobby shop. I am yet to experience any sign of instability.

The main thing, as mentioned in the manual shown above, is not to use “SO CALLED HIGH-DEFINITION WIRE…”. Most of these geometrically complex, braided or litz style cables are not much better than wiring a capacitor across the amplifiers output, I tend to avoid this type of cable for any amplifier.

Oh; and the 3.5 min cable length; It is a rough guide only, the manual says “should” not “must”, two very different words. I have use lengths as short as 2 metres with no problems. Just avoid the platted / braided type cable and you will be fine.

LPSpinner

I do love cable threads, especially when accompanied by old bits of paper from Naim.
After all, there are PFM members who look upon anything from Naim as 100% correct.

It will also depend on choice of speakers. i.e. all a matter of what will seem like 'luck' to normal non-engineer users.
I'd rather rule out 'luck' myself. The spreadsheet I mentioned upthread can be somewhat entertaining when one compares some of the popular products on offer. Something as seemingly benign as QED 79-Strand, for example, returns 5.3m minimum matching 3.5m x A5 inductance, with 5.5m matching 20m x A5 for capacitance. Not that going much over is likely to fry one's NAP, but it is interesting when compared with what folk (including certain dealers) report wrt 'Oh, it's fine, just don't go lower than 3.5m or higher than 20m like Naim recommend'. Case in point, Mogami 2972 works out to 5.0m min and 5.08m max to match A5 (5.04m optimum? :)), however, 20m x 2972 returns 1260pF parallel capacitance vs. A5 at 320pF.

He’s not exactly a space cadet, he does understand the physical principles involved.

have you seen some the things he's said in interviews with hi fi mags etc? Plus some of his crazy product ideas like thin high resistance speaker cable with loop resistance >1 Ohm in most installations.

HiFiNews marketed their own potted inductors with terminals as Henrys did they not? Were these aimed at the Naim owner for the reasons discussed here?

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/PHENFLY.html

What (if any) noticeable effect would these have if your amp already had inductors in the output?

Aha! very interesting! So someone else had the same idea years ago... "Pure Henrys" apparently...

Same thing it would appear yes.

Unlikely to make any noticeable difference if amp already has them fitted, as most do. It will cause a slight treble roll off but so slight and at such high frequency that it would not be noticed.

My guess at why there has been absolutely zero interest in this is that most people who buy Naim and Exposure believe, VERY wrongly, that there was a very good reason for Naim and Exposure leaving these out in the first place.

I had one enquiry after all the pushing of these I did on here! That person did indeed buy a set and was delighted with them.

I charge a little more than those above (if they are still available) but mine have a short flying lead with 4mm plug fitted which makes them easier to install and with fewer connections in circuit.

Pure Henry

A satisfied user says ...

"A veil had been removed allowing me to hear more of the ambience in recordings" and

"The ... sound appeared more natural and lifelike and recordings exhibited more depth.

Bass details was enhanced and much to my surprise, the dynamic performance of the

amplifiers was improved..."

How can you trust a customer whose wife didn’t notice the difference from the kitchen?

.sjb

It wouldn't make any difference or improvement to the sound so like so many write ups the above is either imagined or made up.

advertisement

Back