advertisement

Speaker Cable

IME the effect of speaker cables depends on the amp/speakers.

Used VD and Linn K20 with my Exposure xx. No diff. in sound - no surprise.

Bought my Denon amp, cont using VD, tho' there was still a small amount of sibilance - after recapping my speakers etc.
The common denominator was the cable.

Before I went to a dealer to scrounge some cable to try I decided to buy NVA LS5 - 30 days return.

Bugger me if the difference, with the Denon, wasn't profound - I could hear it from the next room. Everything was better, top to bottom.

Tried it with my my Expo before selling. Bugger all difference comp. with the VD.

Go figure. Because I can't.

Bought my Denon amp, cont using VD, tho' there was still a small amount of sibilance - after recapping my speakers etc.

Before I went to a dealer to scrounge some cable to try I decided to buy NVA LS5 - 30 days return.

Bugger me if the difference, with the Denon, wasn't profound - I could hear it from the next room. Everything was better, top to bottom.

Tried it with my my Expo before selling. Bugger all difference comp. with the VD.

yep, so system dependent.

So doesn't that suggest it is not just the cable that is in the equation, amplifier and 'speakers are, too, and who knows what else?

yep, so system dependent.

So doesn't that suggest it is not just the cable that is in the equation, amplifier and 'speakers are, too, and who knows what else?

Absolutely. It's interface after all.

FWIW, I believe there is a certain, er, 'shared heritage' to put it delicately between NVA and Densen, so the above isn't altogether a surprise.

Absolutely. It's interface after all.

FWIW, I believe there is a certain, er, 'shared heritage' to put it delicately between NVA and Densen, so the above isn't altogether a surprise.

Hehe. You need to re-read my post....After nearly 40 yrs of Brit amps I ended up with a 'modest' Jap amp.

I still think someone could make serious money in this demo with upgrade kits so cables could match or compliment decor. A $50 starter package could offer a choice of standard braiding in a dozen colors with heat-shrink end pieces in your choice of diameters. A "Suck on this, bitches!" package would have all of that, plus Blingy-AF connectors and customizable cable riser blocks. For the audio connoisseur, toss in color coordinated isolation goodies and the sky is the limit! Once outfitted with this splendor, the true audio enthusiast can sit back and enjoy looking listening to their system!

I hesitate to ask...…………..

Big floor-standers, 10m run of cable, 2.5mm Furukawa OC-OFC (long since deleted from their catalogue).
Worth trying 4.0mm? Maybe I should run a poll?

I have contacted exposure.
Good cables are if I can get them cheap the DMF 2 from Exposure or Linn K20 or Naim Naca 5.

Otherwise, the recommendation is Chord or Atlas cable.

My main cables are 11 AGW (4 square mm) Leonische - Leoni today. Plain old multistrand. I doubt I will ever find a better one.

Not just my opinion, no.

Indeed. There is a lot of science on the subject too... I don’t think LC-OFC, PC-OCC etc. was made just so it could go longer. Research into grain boundaries and metal purity is somewhat thin on the ground compared to LCR measurements, of which some are tuned to make a measurable difference. DNM, NVA, TQ spring to mind.

Indeed. There is a lot of science on the subject too... I don’t think LC-OFC, PC-OCC etc. was made just so it could go longer. Research into grain boundaries and metal purity is somewhat thin on the ground compared to LCR measurements, of which some are tuned to make a measurable difference. DNM, NVA, TQ spring to mind.

Just funny how the cable companies never publish any results of their research or proof for their claims.

The LCR figures will differ for the 2 cables. The amplifiers will have a different circuit. The cable forms a series load with the resistor and the amplifier will have to work with that. Some amplifier circuits are sensitive to what's connected to them, some not. One of yours clearly is. There you are, duly figured.

Good quality copper cables with well made termination on both ends and you are good to go, longer cable lengths use 14,12 or 10 awg, I use BlueJeans 6 meters 10 awg, sounds fine.

advertisement

Back