advertisement

Speaker cable connections - which ones?

Hi Folk,

I’ve just bought these:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tributaries-bi-wire-speaker-cables.263969/

And @Bourneendboy has very kindly offered to solder / heat shrink some decent connectors for me (lovely chap!)

As these are due to go under my suspended floor I’d like the (sensibly) best connectors put on them. Any recommendations for non-foo well made options?

Thanks.
Does that mean the atlas jumpers are going spare? I could use them if they are!

Has he bought them then? The ones I sold you a few weeks ago?

No. This is confusing! I’m buying bi-wire cables from @jusphish to try out. The banana connectors he has are just that - which he offered to terminate the bi-wire cables, but I decided I’d prefer soldered to those!

Sad to say I use screw fitting banana . Just got some super chord bfa bananas . Also got some rembus wbt type last week. Superb quality. The best is wbt of course . Got about 10 lots of speaker cables and all are screw fitting

I am a big fan of standard 4mm deltrons. I think the longitudinal spring wire helps make good contact. I use heat shrink because the plastic sleeves that come with them are too small for heavy gauge speaker wire. They come in fancy gold plate if you like. I use the solder-only ones, but there are some that have a little set screw in case you don't want to solder.

images

They come in fancy gold plate if you like. I use the solder-only ones, but there are some that have a little set screw in case you don't want to

I use the gold ones with the set screw as they have a larger and stronger hole for the cable. I use the screw to position everything and then solder it as well, so end up with a remarkably solid screwed and soldered joint. I use coloured heatshrink rather than the plastic covers as it’s stronger and neater. Once done they stay done forever.

I use the gold ones with the set screw as they have a larger and stronger hole for the cable. I use the screw to position everything and then solder it as well, so end up with a remarkably solid screwed and soldered joint. I use coloured heatshrink rather than the plastic covers as it’s stronger and neater. Once done they stay done forever.

Just checking it’s these:

https://uk.farnell.com/deltron-components/584-0500/plug-4mm-speaker-red-gold/dp/1194018?st=Deltron

and/or these:

https://uk.farnell.com/deltron-components/584-0100/plug-4mm-speaker-black-gold/dp/1194019?st=Deltron gold

?

I assume from what you’re saying I can just get 12 of the black as the covers aren’t going to be used?

I prefer to use the covers, but I am using 6mm wire so with I solution it just fits.

Thanks. These cables are 14 gauge (times 4 as bi-wired) which I think is only around 2mm cores. Could easily fit the covers I imagine. Hopefully they’re thick enough for my needs!

I've been very happy with the Deltrons too. Possibly daft question - is there any reason to use silver plated? Won't that tarnish pretty quickly?

Thetes no reason to use any plating on them apart from cosmetics. Solder's only about 40% IAC a bit of plating won't make difference to how conductive they are.

The best foo-less speaker cable connectors are, of course, Neutrik Speakon. There's even an 8-pole version to accommodate quad-amping from a single cable (obviously with 8 separate conductors). But changing the loudspeaker terminals might be more difficult.

advertisement

Back