advertisement

speaker cabinet repairs?

jonnoshore

physicist, engineer and healer
Any one have any ideas on how to repair these?

DSCF8125.jpg

DSCF8137.jpg

DSCF8140.jpg

DSCF8135.jpg

Yes they were posted face to face without packing material between... no comment...
DSCF8130.jpg

One way maybe to remove the baffle step and start a fresh...

John

If they were mine, I would junk the cabinet and build it again from scratch.

It depends on how good a repair you would be happy with - to repair them to the level I would be happy with is a lot of messing about, and at the end of the day the cabs are just veneered chipboard - less work to just make them again.

I tell you what I would really do though, and that is get my money back and buy a different pair.

I agree with the last post - you should try and get refunded if you have paid for post and packing - clearly it was an incompetent job. If you are really going to hang on to them , other than building new cabs, which would be the best option you could try firstly repair the broken mitre by gluing and clamping the machine off the front leading edges of the cabs including the damage leaving just a few mm in front of the baffle then finally constructing new solid matching hardwood wood frames whic can be glued and dowelled back onto th cabinets to replace the material lost and so breing the front back to the same size as before. A lot of work though!

I agree with the last post - you should try and get refunded if you have paid for post and packing - clearly it was an incompetent job. If you are really going to hang on to them , other than building new cabs, which would be the best option you could try firstly repair the broken mitre by gluing and clamping the machine off the front leading edges of the cabs including the damage leaving just a few mm in front of the baffle then finally constructing new solid matching hardwood wood frames whic can be glued and dowelled back onto th cabinets to replace the material lost and so breing the front back to the same size as before. A lot of work though!

If the speakers were the only thing I bought, I agree. I'd return them no questions. The Naim amps and the Arcam CD player seem to have survived the 'packing' surprisingly... I will try and get some refunded based on how much the 770's have been devalued. Lesson: without original packing and a good packer... Don't ship speakers.

Must be worth something for drive units for a project or for someone with a blown 770 drive unit(s). Valuing what they were worth before shipping damage, verses now is difficult however, especially as it was part of a system.

keep em as party/garage speakers - that way you can glue and clamp the cabs (hint - use a ratchet tie-down and packers around the cabinet to pull it together)... and 'bog' the dented fronts with filler. negotiate with the vendor on damage/lost value. sounds like you're still ahead on the other kit, Jon!

best regards from NZ

Rico

advertisement

Back