advertisement

Spanish Guitar Music

DuncanF

pfm Member
Any pointers please? I have a few CD's which are compiltations:

Konrad Rogossnig: Albeniz, de Falla, Grenados, Turina
John Williams: More of the above plus Tarrega, Sagreras, Sanz, Villa-Lobos
Assorted: Rodrigo, Tarrega, Albeniz

Any recommendations to expand my collection, hopefully including stuff which is not compliations? I know bugger all about this stuff except that I sumbled accross it recently and really like it. The Rogossnig stuff is good. The Williams sounds like a robot playing - too flawless.

Thanks,

Duncan

Totally agree with your John Williams as a robot analogy- I couldn't put it more succinctly myself..

So my first stop would be: Rodrigo's Concerto d'Aranjuez & Fantasia Para Gentilhombre with Narciso Yepes on guitar (on DG with Spanish National orchestra, or summink) is as fine a performance of any classical lp I have, & should be up there on your list, if you can find it on cd. In fact, you could do worse than find general DG stuff with NYpes' virtuoso guitar playing Imho- his is a much earthier style with terrific dynamics.

Here's the bald genius to give you an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlhCsY-YjcY

Just a beginner in the genre but a personal favorite:

51A7D73PCKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Segovia: The Great Master [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (Composer), John Dowland (Composer), Oscar Espla (Composer), George Frederick Handel (Composer), Antonio Lauro (Composer), Luis de Milan (Composer), Luys de Narvaez (Composer), Manuel Ponce (Composer), Domenico Scarlatti (Composer), Alexandre Tansman (Composer), Federico Moreno Torroba (Composer), Heitor Villa-Lobos (Composer), Robert de Visee (Composer), Sylvius Leopold Weiss (Composer), Chigiano Quintet (Performer), Andrés Segovia (Performer)

Thanks guys. Is most of this music performer driven rather than composer? I.e. is compilations where it's at?

Anything by Narciso Yepes,his version of rodriegos guitar concerto is the best one. Julian Bream is also one of the best.

One of my favorite musical 'items' is Julian Bream's 1985 film of Spain and Spanish classical composers. It comprises of a series of eight 30-minute films. He travels the whole of the country talking about and playing the various styles and composers, tracing the evolution of the Spanish guitar from 1500 to present. Bream plays in some magnificent old buildings including the Alhambra Palace & Generallife gardens in Granada.

As well as seeing his very fine playing, the direction of the film is just brilliant. There are interesting, lingering shots of people, places and scenery all accompanied by the music of the region. It has a running time of 240 mins. He plays with Paco Pena who plays Flamence with him.

This DVD is truly a gem to treasure.

Another Bream fave http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Guitar-Recital/dp/B00005OC01/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215467053&sr=1-9

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Guys,

Thank you again for your recommendations. But it still seems to me that this is performer driven. I.e. not like buying a double CD of A.N.Other composers' Opus X in Whathaveyou key.

Is it just that the type of Spanish guitar music that I've found myself enjoying recently is driven by smaller works? I've Wiki'd some of this but it appears that there are no "Guitar Beethovens" with massive catalogues out there. Or have I missed something?

It's great that on this part of PFM there are people who enjoy all sorts of music genres and can point tyros to the good stuff.

Duncan

P.S. Don't shoot me but I enjoy Coldplay too!

for somethign a bit oddball but really good try - 'Rodrigo y gabriela' their names are the title and to hear a flemenco version of stariway to heaven and metalica's orion is off beat but really good, plus a good recording

for somethign a bit oddball but really good try - 'Rodrigo y gabriela' their names are the title and to hear a flemenco version of stariway to heaven and metalica's orion is off beat but really good, plus a good recording

Just sold my 2 week old copy - couldn't stand more than 3 mins at a time. Many seem to like it though from the reviews I've seen

advertisement

Back