advertisement

Spaghetti

I don't care who said what.. but referring to spaghetti in the singular is, I believe, incorrect. There's a clue in the 'i'. An Italian work colleague always referred to spaghetti as 'them'. I presume a single 'stick' is strictly a 'Spaghetto' ?
I would value informed input on this most pressing issue.

I suppose there's always a subtle distinction between the uncooked item(s) .. and the prepared dish.. in much the same way that we would refer to a single potato as a 'potato', but a number of potatoes cooked and mashed becomes 'mashed potato'.. not usually 'mashed potatoes'

It's a conundrum of a mystery of a puzzle shrouded in an enigma.

Spaghetti is indeed plural, but I’ve never heard the singular used in Italy, unlike raviolo...

It...never...ends.

The same bunch of middle aged blokes turn up tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that, and argue about pointless sh*t over...and over...and over again. It never ends until you die. Even then they just carry on without you.

It's somewhat like a Rube Goldberg chain reaction, but rather than finely engineered discrete parts working together in execution of a singular task, it's a series of banal ego farts, tea & biscuit sensibilities, and insufferable posturing ending with absolutely nothing of value tumbling from its rhetorical anus.

I make a chicken head with my hand (not the white power symbol) and stick as many noodles as will fit through the hole for each person who is about to stuff him or herself on my delicious vegetarian pah'skeddy.

main-qimg-3517a1f84070df04d95eadcf76221eb7

It's close enough most of the time.

Joe
That's genius. I now plan to do away with my scales and measure all frequently used ingredients relative to bits of my anatomy.

It's somewhat like a Rube Goldberg* chain reaction, but rather than finely engineered discrete parts working together in execution of a singular task, it's a series of banal ego farts, tea & biscuit sensibilities, and insufferable posturing ending with absolutely nothing of value tumbling from its rhetorical anus.

* 'Heath Robinson' would be a suitable Anglo-centric equivalent.

It...never...ends.

The same bunch of middle aged blokes turn up tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that, and argue about pointless sh*t over...and over...and over again. It never ends until you die. Even then they just carry on without you.

And yet here you are...

We're here, unless this is one of those pesky Talosian illusions.

Joe

In France they call them "Les spaghettis".
Damned frogs.....they also call them les pates (plural, would you believe!) instead of la pasta. They also claim white truffle is not really a truffle and is of little interest, because why? because they ain't got any, the frogs!

But to come to the point, one "spaghetto," and a multitude of "spaghetti." Like beans, you can drop a bean on the kitchen floor, but you will eat beans. Colloquially, you can also say, in Italian, "Let's make ourselves "a spaghetto", tonight! Singular, referring to both the single operation of making it, and to the single finished product of the pasta in the bowl waiting to be eaten.

Damned frogs.....they also call them les pates (plural, would you believe!) instead of la pasta. They also claim white truffle is not really a truffle and is of little interest, because why? because they ain't got any, the frogs!
They even call focaccia "fougasse"!

They even call focaccia "fougasse"!

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The monstrous fiends! If you have worse in store, please spare me.

In Israel, where they speak Hebrew in which the same letter is used for "O" and "U", they sometimes manage to translate/transliterate it into "fukkaccia."

advertisement

Back