advertisement

Spade crimp terminals versus ferrule terminals?

I was always suspicious of the wound wire connections you saw in old Pioneer amps and receivers but many are still going strong do must and been ok.
Must have been a pain if you had to remove a board though!

Notwithdstanding the title of this thread I am surprised if anyone on pfm could be bamboozled into buying the expensive tool needed to utilise the things advocated.

If mains plugs are what you are concerned with, just get fused 13A MK mains plugs. These are fitted with a captive nut, knurled on its underside for each of the three terminals (live, neutral and earth). All you need to do is twist each wire clockwise before putting it around the terminal with a clockwise twist.

After tightening down the screw, each wire is twisted further and confined within its plastic channel. No stray strands: no fractures. Perhaps I should do a video.

When using terminal blocks just put a tiny washer (scored on the underside if you will) on top of the wire before screwing down. Job done.

Perhaps I should do a video. Pay me £1million to do it and I might give it some consideration- but I doubt it.

I may have missed something - but I can't see the reason why leads should not be tinned with solder before screwing down, nor why an ordinary pair of pliars cannot be used to crimp ferruls.

Notwithdstanding the title of this thread I am surprised if anyone on pfm could be bamboozled into buying the expensive tool needed to utilise the things advocated.

If mains plugs are what you are concerned with, just get fused 13A MK mains plugs. These are fitted with a captive nut, knurled on its underside for each of the three terminals (live, neutral and earth). All you need to do is twist each wire clockwise before putting it around the terminal with a clockwise twist.

After tightening down the screw, each wire is twisted further and confined within its plastic channel. No stray strands: no fractures. Perhaps I should do a video.

When using terminal blocks just put a tiny washer (scored on the underside if you will) on top of the wire before screwing down. Job done.

Perhaps I should do a video. Pay me £1million to do it and I might give it some consideration- but I doubt it.

I may have missed something - but I can't see the reason why leads should not be tinned with solder before screwing down, nor why an ordinary pair of pliars cannot be used to crimp ferruls.

An amusing post for sure.

I recently wired a mains plug, and was eager to use my new toy.

But the plastic funnel bit made the resulting leads too big to fit.

I tried removing the plastic (fairly easy, just push the metal bit backwards into it), but it was then VERY difficult to use the tool to fit the ferrule.

But it turned out to be possible to crimp the ferrule in the normal way, and then ... destroy the plastic with side cutters, resulting into a neatly crimped and rather small tip to the flex, which fitted perfectly.

BugBear

advertisement

Back