advertisement

Space Tech Super Rectifier

I've used it with my preamp and my dac. Yes you have to turn on the super rectifier in standby, then switch to enable, then switch on your component.
My preamp is almost 20 years old, and no problems yet.

Apart from which - having such a huge loop area via the cabling from the transformer, via remote rectifier, back to an amplifier - is an utter, utter, mess of generated (and totally-avoidable) EMI (interference, to everyone else) : o

this 'product ' = simple bloody insanity.

It's essentially an outboard PSU, plenty of those in use in high-end components without the issues you describe.

There are plenty of valve rectified amps that manage quite happily without.

I’m intrigued. Can you quote some references to commercial amplifiers that use Xenon gas and mercury vapour rectifiers in unshielded applications please.

Any tube amp that has exposed tubes can be dangerous, you just have to use a little common sense. If you want a faraday cage around it I'm sure Al would build one for you with a faraday cage.

Why don't you just call Al at space tech Lab during normal business hours, and he will answer all your questions, he still picks up the phone, or you can email him, he will get back to you quite quickly.

The faraday cage should be there to shield against the wide band RFI being radiated by the xenon gas or mercury vapour rectifier valve. It’s not there to protect the valve from damage or breakage.

It can actually double as a safety device for the exposed tubes. I don't have any problem with noise, not even when I use the old globe 866 rectifier tubes. There are guys on the diy audio forum that use mercury rectifiers and they all say they aren't getting a bunch of RFI.

I’m intrigued. Can you quote some references to commercial amplifiers that use Xenon gas and mercury vapour rectifiers in unshielded applications please.

As it happens, the recommended valve is an 805A, it is possible to use a mercury or Xenon tube but the manufacture is clear about the safety concerns in the instructions. This isn't a specific mercury or Xenon valve rectifier unit.

advertisement

Back