advertisement

SP-10 Mk.II or Garrard 401? Which would you choose?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
I've been running a Garrard 401 for a year or so. Arm is 12" Jelco 750L. The SP-10 comes with a Grace 560L. Both are on Baltic birch ply plinths.

Thoughts? Which would you choose, and why?

My reason for asking boils down to the Technics being a little harder to duplicate. But actually maybe that's a wash...

Both are old. Both are good, when serviced and set up. Your choice kind of depends on whether you want to maintain a 'more complex' mechanical thing - the Garrard, or a 'more complex' electronic thing, the Technics.

I have had both, ran both, and loved them both for different reasons. In the end sold the Sp10 and had my Garrard 401 for almost 7 years before getting the itch. Still regret it, as for musicality, the 401, it won't be beat!!

I suspect a lot boils down to plinth design etc, and both are clearly good decks, but it took me less than a track to decide I vastly preferred my TD-124 to an SL1200G! The old idlers will never compete on silence, but they get the music out.

FWIW I think a lot of this comes down to mass and/or the lack of it. I suspect I didn’t like the Technics I tried because it was over-damped and stored energy. There is a very interesting breadth of opinion in turntable design spanning everything from gigantic high-mass belt-drives at one end through to the lightest possible high-end Regas at the other.

As such I’m inclined to think mass plays as much of a part as drive system, at least between DD and idler (both of which being rock-solid and high-torque). The SL1200G is far, far heavier and more damped than my TD-124 in its lightweight plinth, though the 124 has the heavier platter at about 5kg (mine is the iron type).

On instinct I’d pick a good 401 over an SP10 as I know very well I enjoy Garrards having owned a 301. For me it is a very safe and proven choice, though in hindsight after playing around with slate I’d revert to a plywood top-plate and squash ball/rubber decoupling in a Lorricraft style rather than high-mass. I’m pretty sure I traded some ‘fun’ for ‘quietness’ moving to slate. To be honest I don’t think I like high-mass anywhere in an audio system, be it turntables or speakers. I still think you need a fairly chunky platter for that real rock-solid gravitas, but the Garrard, Lenco, or cast iron 124 platter is enough, no need to go further, and I suspect losing mass elsewhere is likely beneficial.

I would go for the Garrard. They sound great (also look great but that is a personal preference) and are much easier to repair if something goes wrong.

Having been from a Garrard 301 and 401 to an SP-10 Mk2, then an SL1200-G, and now all the way around back to a 301 again, I'd say go for the Garrard. The Technics is great, but will likely need a full service, and even though I did mine myself I was always worrying what would happen if one of the unobtanium chips went. The Garrard by comparison is almost future proof as all spares are currently available. I'd say the Technics was the most analytical, quite CD-like (good CD!) and the 301/401 majored on bass slam, mid-range warmth with a little bloom, and *perhaps* a slightly veiled treble (VERY slight, which one can largely counter-balance with cartridge choice or phono stage choice etc). Ultimately I just felt the Garrard was the more organic sounding device.

Aahh, guys. Thanks for all that. Really appreciate the varied perspectives and I'm feeling pretty confident staying with my Garrard 401.

Next question, this time for a friend who wants a better 'table than what he's got. SP-10 MkII or Oracle with SME 3009?

I would go for the Garrard. They sound great (also look great but that is a personal preference) and are much easier to repair if something goes wrong.

With an SP10 do you run with risk of the electronics going irreparably fud - or is everything serviceable?

I had Oracle mk3, one of the best belt drives I’ve heard and looks to to die for.

Sme suggests it may be an early one which could be brought up to date in stages?£?

Both are old. Both are good, when serviced and set up. Your choice kind of depends on whether you want to maintain a 'more complex' mechanical thing - the Garrard, or a 'more complex' electronic thing, the Technics.
This played a big part in my choice of TT, I'm sure the SP10 is a lovely thing but the electronics are totally beyond me. Complex mechanical things are my bread and butter so 401 it was!:) Of course if you don't intend doing your own maintenance this post is probably irrelevant.

Serviceability is one reason I very much doubt that I’ll ever shift from the 124 now. The real restorative work is long done. I obsessively stripped and cleaned it, replaced all the old sintered bushings with new, have amassed a quite substantial spares collection and can certainly keep it running for as long as I could possibly hope to use it, and then it would likely be good for decades more for the next owner. It is just really good solid simple engineering, and exactly the same goes for Garrards, Lencos, the more simple Linns, Regas etc. Just nothing ‘fancy’ to go wrong. The Japanese direct drives are fabulously simple things, I love the idea of a turntable with just one moving part, but the electronics required to achieve this can be an Achilles heel as so many have bespoke chips etc. By saying that I have a MkI SL-120 from about 1976 in my ‘spares/sell pile’ that has had no work at all to my knowledge beyond my putting a drop or two of oil in the main bearing and it seems to work perfectly.

I've heard people complain that a top-spec LP12 sounds like a CD player, that a Rega P10 sounds like a CD player, and now in here someone said the Technics SP10 sounds like a CD player. And yet I bet the LInn, Rega, and Technics sound nothing alike.

I haven't heard the big Technics deck since the early 1970s, when it was still a Panasonic, I thought it sounded like a reel-to-reel deck. I'd like a chance to revisit that someday.

Re: sounds like a Cd player, I’ve plugged an 80’s Sony Esd player in today and think I need to rephrase, IMO SP10 lacks emotion especially compared to a Garrard. Maybe it’s all those rattling bars underneath and distortion, but that’s the best I’ve got. I’ve gone to great lengths to temper the rattle/rumble machine with modded bearing and power supplies but that inherent ‘tune/rhythm/drive’ is still there.

I will in the near future have a Phonomac serviced SP10 in a Panzerholz plinth, and I also have a new old stock 401 which I've yet to service and use; it'll go in a twin tier slate plinth which I used with a previous 401. The Technics will likely get a Terminator arm, and the Garrard an ATP 12T on which will go a C4E once John Wright has fettled it.

Idlers for me, largely for the reasons Tony's given. I refurbed my Lenco GL75 and it's the easiest technology imaginable to work on, nothing is hidden or mysterious or hard to replace. And it sounds fantastic, too.

Idlers for me, largely for the reasons Tony's given. I refurbed my Lenco GL75 and it's the easiest technology imaginable to work on, nothing is hidden or mysterious or hard to replace. And it sounds fantastic, too.

May I ask what arm you use with your GL75?

advertisement

Back