advertisement

Sounds app on Bluesound Node 2i?

That’s the thing there aren’t many bar the Amazon stuff or LMS that can handle BBC sounds for which there is an established plug in. I run a Pi with PiCorePlayer and integrated LMS. The Plug runs on the Material Skin controller and it is great. You don’t need to learn another language with Pi. That’s for coders to do. You just set it up by downloading software and configuring it. If you want it to look nice put it in a nice box. I know of listeners that stick Tangents in Naim boxes. If you want something nicer then look at the Vortexbox site. They are more substantial and link to LMS and Roon, whatever’s your fancy. It also adds ripping functionality. Plenty of choice but don’t expect improvements in sound quality.

Been mentioned already but the Chromecast Audio is a good cheap option. You can use it's digital out into a dac or into the digital input on the Node2 by the looks of it. No point going overboard as BBC Sounds is not lossless.

Been mentioned already but the Chromecast Audio is a good cheap option. You can use it's digital out into a dac or into the digital input on the Node2 by the looks of it. No point going overboard as BBC Sounds is not lossless.
It’s the functionality that’s the thing. Especially through the BBC Sounds plug in.you can listen to archive etc.

Thank you for the info but, with respect, that doesn’t really answer my question. I know how good the Bluesound is, I already have a Node 2 (that doesn’t do the Sounds App either, hence the question). I’m not about to go and spend £27k on a Naim system when I already have quite a good Linn one (albeit getting on now, like me ). I think I can improve my DAC situation though. With the lockdown situation it’s not possible to shop around and listen at dealers. I appreciate that I could build something out of a Pi but it’s fiddly, you need to learn a new language and at the end of it, aesthetically, it not very nice to look at .
So, are there any ideas for a reasonably priced (say £400~£800) DAC/Streamer that would be able to handle the Sounds App? I really would appreciate some experienced guidance.
I’m not aware of a current Streamer that is plug and play with the new BBC Sounds App, AIUI they left TuneIn and have not replaced the functionality with something comparable to Tidal/Spotify Connect. BT, AP and CC are your options.

The BBC’s live radio streams are no longer available via TuneIn on the following platforms in the UK.

The BBC’s radio stations can be accessed on the BBC Sounds website and apps for Android and iOS devices, which also let you play programmes on a wide range of speakers via wireless technologies such as Bluetooth, Chromecast and Apple AirPlay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/tunein-changes

Hi, I tried the Chromcast last year and was a bit underwhelmed. It didn't sit well in my system but thanks for the suggestion.

It’s the functionality that’s the thing. Especially through the BBC Sounds plug in.you can listen to archive etc.
Exactly, plus with a decent recording system you can build a nice library up that is not available on the commercial sites. Qubuz, Tidal, Spotify, etc.

Just trying to jump on the back of this, I have the same question as the OP so there doesn't seem to be any need to start a new thread with the same question again. There are a couple of suggestions above that it IS possible to listen to BBC Sounds via Bluesound Node 2i. My listening would be for podcasts in the kitchen so not too fussed if I have to use bluetooth/chromecast, I just don't know how to do it. I suppose Bluetooth is easier but I think we have a Chromecast somewhere I could use if needed.

So if it's possible, please can I ask for someone to explain in words of 3 syllables or less (and without using the word 'plug-in') how to do it? I've looked through the app settings and found nowt and the Bluesound online 'help' I don't find very helpful. I presume there's some settings on Sounds and Bluesound apps that require fiddling with? Bloody BBC getting on my tits. At least I can still get Tune-In. Ho hum.

Assuming Android phone: Load sounds app onto mobile, check it plays ok on mobile's speaker.

Assuming Node 2i is switched on, turn on mobile's Bluetooth and search for devices. It should find the Node, select it from the list and pair.

Phone should now see Node as an audio sink. Play sounds again, should now come through Node.

If you can't make it work consult the nearest teenager!

Assuming Android phone: Load sounds app onto mobile, check it plays ok on mobile's speaker.

Assuming Node 2i is switched on, turn on mobile's Bluetooth and search for devices. It should find the Node, select it from the list and pair.

Phone should now see Node as an audio sink. Play sounds again, should now come through Node.

If you can't make it work consult the nearest teenager!

Thank you, will give it a go!

advertisement

Back