advertisement

Sounds app on Bluesound Node 2i?

Airplay surely is your only option?

it can stream live radio, but catch-up it can’t do, so streaming from phone/iPad/conputer via airplay is your only option I think..

Thanks all, it’s as much as I expected. so my next question is this. Is there a reasonably priced streamer/DAC on the market that will? As things are at the moment I have the Sounds App on my iMac desktop, this I stream via usb into a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 then via a coax out into a Teac UD-H01 DAC and finally into my pre amp. As you can gather, it’s a bit convoluted to say the least.

There’s a lovely BBC Sounds plug in on LMS. You may be able to integrate through one of their protocols.

I’ve got a high end Naim system - 555 streamer with a pair of 555ps power supplies, 552 pre, 500 power - you can do the maths - anyway my streamer is away at the moment and I was leant a BlueSound Node 2i to fill the gap and keep me going.

it’s utterly amazing.

I know there is a law of diminishing returns, but for something that costs £499 to not be put to shame by something that costs £27500 is testament to the job those guys have done. It’s terrific. I mean the Naim is better - yes - quite a lot better - but could I live with the BlueSound? ...sure!

Why are you surprised? Believe it.I have a Pi set up that does the same job for half the price of a Node2i. There’s so much brilliant stuff in the budget end of CA and so much bull in the ‘higher’ end.

Why are you surprised? Believe it.I have a Pi set up that does the same job for half the price of a Node2i. There’s so much brilliant stuff in the budget end of CA and so much bull in the ‘higher’ end.

it’s not Bull - the Naim is certainly MUCH better - but the budget stuff is pushing hard, and it really does make you reflect on the law of diminishing returns! (Because OBVIOUSLY it’s not 50x better!)

it’s not Bull - the Naim is certainly MUCH better - but the budget stuff is pushing hard, and it really does make you reflect on the law of diminishing returns! (Because OBVIOUSLY it’s not 50x better!)
It’s not as big a difference as you may think it is.

Mate - that’s the point I’m making. But don’t forget the BlueSound is being played through some proper high end amps and speakers - so it’s sounding as good as it’s ever going to.
I’m more contrasting streamers rather than full kit. I’ve listened to many ‘high end’ streamers and ‘proper’ amps. I’ve listened to them in modest set ups and ‘high end’. The differences were small and some a little better. Never much better.

Thank you for the info but, with respect, that doesn’t really answer my question. I know how good the Bluesound is, I already have a Node 2 (that doesn’t do the Sounds App either, hence the question). I’m not about to go and spend £27k on a Naim system when I already have quite a good Linn one (albeit getting on now, like me ). I think I can improve my DAC situation though. With the lockdown situation it’s not possible to shop around and listen at dealers. I appreciate that I could build something out of a Pi but it’s fiddly, you need to learn a new language and at the end of it, aesthetically, it not very nice to look at .
So, are there any ideas for a reasonably priced (say £400~£800) DAC/Streamer that would be able to handle the Sounds App? I really would appreciate some experienced guidance.

Mate - that’s the point I’m making. But don’t forget the BlueSound is being played through some proper high end amps and speakers - so it’s sounding as good as it’s ever going to.

If you borrow an MScaler / Qutest from a dealer, connect the 2i then compare the 27k source to the 5k source, just saying.....

I’m more contrasting streamers rather than full kit. I’ve listened to many ‘high end’ streamers and ‘proper’ amps. I’ve listened to them in modest set ups and ‘high end’. The differences were small and some a little better. Never much better.

Well yes - but you only get to hear what a streamer is capable of when it’s hooked up to something decent. Garbage in Garbage out - Source First - and all that.

Depends on the definition of much better. The Naim streamer is MUCH better - but not 50x obviously.
I’d score the BlueSound as 80% against the Naim - do I consider those extra 20% good use of my money - yeah - could I live with the BlueSound and strongly recommend it - yeah.

Thank you for the info but, with respect, that doesn’t really answer my question. I know how good the Bluesound is, I already have a Node 2 (that doesn’t do the Sounds App either, hence the question). I’m not about to go and spend £27k on a Naim system when I already have quite a good Linn one (albeit getting on now, like me ). I think I can improve my DAC situation though. With the lockdown situation it’s not possible to shop around and listen at dealers. I appreciate that I could build something out of a Pi but it’s fiddly, you need to learn a new language and at the end of it, aesthetically, it not very nice to look at .
So, are there any ideas for a reasonably priced (say £400~£800) DAC/Streamer that would be able to handle the Sounds App? I really would appreciate some experienced guidance.

With respect - I wasn’t answering your question - I was just saying how good the BlueSound is, as an opportunity presented itself to do so.

I don’t know the answer to your question I’m afraid.

advertisement

Back