advertisement

"sound terrible...."

I think the guy deserves a job at the advertising standards commission now whith that level of honesty i may not flip over when the adds come on.

Errr

Its a Trabscriptors by err Transcriptors (built under licence by Mitchell for a limited time) and looks like a later version of the electronic transcriptors deck or the hydraulic one (but can't see the fluid damping pot). Arm is a Transcriptors unipivot. The reason it sounds "terrible" is the plonker's fitted a cart which has a compliance low enough to have the arm jumping all over the record, it's simply an arm/cart mismatch and there's nothing at all wrong with the deck or arm. The arm needs a cart with a compliance of over 15 cm/dn and was originally designed to match the V15 (or similar) with compliance figures of 25. It won't work properly with MC carts or lower compliance MM carts. Its actually a lovely deck and easily up to modern day superdeck standards with a little tweaking. A good one fetches between £400 and £800 secondhand over here, so that could be an absolute bargain for someone iof he wants to sell it 'cause it sounds "terrible" (Doh).

i think its fair to say that even with a compatible cartridge 'it sounds terrible' is fair comment.

Why do you say that out of interest...have you owned one?

Fact is, it has a damn fine reputation as one of the best decks made in the 1970's and still holds its own today. I've listened to one in a mate's set up with a Shure V15 and it's fabulous.

I heard one and was underwhelmed. Rumour has it that an SME 3009 sounds good on one and is a good visual match.

I heard one and was underwhelmed. Rumour has it that an SME 3009 sounds good on one and is a good visual match.

I use a 3009 on my Garrard and would say there's no disernable difference between it and the Transcriptors. My father has a Fluid Hydraulic Transcriptors with the same arm as the one in the ad (not the same as referred to in my last post) and it knocked spots off my 401/3009 combo, which isn't too shabby itself, until I changed the cart to match his...after that, they sounded much the same.

The guy seems to come from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, isn't it possible that he has simply chosen a word a bit uncautiously meaning >very good<?
M.

Aah, that makes sense Max, in French vernacular "terrible" means "fantastic" in the same way that young people in the UK use "wicked" or "bad" to indicate that something is very good indeed. I once made this mistake at a wine tasting in France, a chap said "that's nice enough, but this one is "terrible"" to which I replied "actually I rather like that, it's not too bad at all, I think it's nice" and the chap had to explain the expression to me.:)

Pac1 said:
The reason it sounds "terrible" is the plonker's fitted a cart which has a compliance low enough to have the arm jumping all over the record, it's simply an arm/cart mismatch and there's nothing at all wrong with the deck or arm.

Aah, that makes sense Max, in French vernacular "terrible" means "fantastic" in the same way that young people in the UK use "wicked" or "bad" to indicate that something is very good indeed. I once made this mistake at a wine tasting in France, a chap said "that's nice enough, but this one is "terrible"" to which I replied "actually I rather like that, it's not too bad at all, I think it's nice" and the chap had to explain the expression to me.:)

A better fit at ad agencies instead, then...

I think you could be very right on this Steve! He wil have meant "terrific" then.
Maybe I should mail him and point it out to him?

Why do you say that out of interest...have you owned one?

Fact is, it has a damn fine reputation as one of the best decks made in the 1970's and still holds its own today. I've listened to one in a mate's set up with a Shure V15 and it's fabulous.
First made in 1964, although Michell didn't make any (under licence) until 1973.

I always thought it looked fantastic but then wondered about the record being supported by just those tiny pads.

It would be helpful. In Italy we call them >false friends<: the phonetic translation of a foreign word which turns out having a completely different meaning. It's always useful to learn them.
M.

advertisement

Back