advertisement

Sound Advice - Ortofon 2m Black

If you've never fitted a cartridge before, and what you want is to fit and forget for a long time, then now is not the time to learn. You want it perfect, and you aren't likely to get that first time, at least without a good alignment tool.

I suggest that you either get a dealer to fit it, or see if any other forum members in the area are willing to help. Probably the ideal arrangement is to stick with a dealer, because if anything goes wrong with someone else trying to help it is then an awkward situation. If you bought something else from a dealer as well as the cart, such as a phono stage, then I'd expect them to set it up for you for free. I think a good relationship with a dealer would be the best thing to aim for here. If they are generous they might set it up for you anyway.

If you've never fitted a cartridge before, and what you want is to fit and forget for a long time, then now is not the time to learn. You want it perfect, and you aren't likely to get that first time, at least without a good alignment tool.

I suggest that you either get a dealer to fit it, or see if any other forum members in the area are willing to help. Probably the ideal arrangement is to stick with a dealer, because if anything goes wrong with someone else trying to help it is then an awkward situation. If you bought something else from a dealer as well as the cart, such as a phono stage, then I'd expect them to set it up for you for free. I think a good relationship with a dealer would be the best thing to aim for here. If they are generous they might set it up for you anyway.

I have spent a few thousand at Nottingham hifi centre, I will try there first.

If any PFM members would be willing to help, that would be perfect but I doubt that any live close enough, or have the patience.

You mentioned Nottingham HiFI I live 10 miles from Nottingham and would be happy to help you set the cartridge up. PM me your address and phone number and I will get in touch

Sorry, that was a side comment to another poster.

At '47k in paralled with 100pF', the Arkless Turbo will be fine as is.

As to cartridge alignment, if you manage to get the cartridge positioned in the headshell such that the stylus tip overhangs the centre of the spindle by 17mm AND the cartridge body is square inline with the headshell, then you will have the exact same alignment as faffing about with the supplied single point alignment protractor will allow for (possibly better, as the Rega sourced alignment cards often have their spindle holes punched off centre).

EDIT: Just read your previous reply to Tony. The above cartridge alignment option won't necessarily apply to your other Heybrook with removable headshell tonearm (unless it is an old Acos/Lustre or Rega R200).

Thanks for that.
I am going to dig out the old TT2 and see whats what, I recall the rubber/seal/ something or other around the tonearm weight had perished so I might have to bodge it...?

Ta-Dah!
I pushed the button and Nottingham HiFi Centre are going to set it up for me, I am going to observe the process and hopefully pop my 'cart set-up' cherry by fitting the redundant goldring cart to whatever the arm is on the spare TT2.
Oooh, the anticipation is quite exhilarating.

I now have to have a conversation with the wife about 'who' pays for this tiny item.

I have purchased diamond rings for her in the past, this is rather like that. It does involve a diamond. My birthday is very soon. (hopeful)

Well that is interesting, the 2nd TT2 is an earlier version (mark 1) I think, and it has a Linn Basik LV X (detachable headshell) tonearm on it. I recall now that the rubber seal perishing is a common problem. I think a bit of blu tack will keep the weight in place once the cart is on. It looks like it has an At 95 on it which might not be f*cked?

Thanks for that.
I am going to dig out the old TT2 and see whats what, I recall the rubber/seal/ something or other around the tonearm weight had perished so I might have to bodge it...?
Well that is interesting, the 2nd TT2 is an earlier version (mark 1) I think, and it has a Linn Basik LV X (detachable headshell) tonearm on it. I recall now that the rubber seal perishing is a common problem. I think a bit of blu tack will keep the weight in place once the cart is on. It looks like it has an At 95 on it which might not be f*cked?
Let us know when you get around to setting up the spare turntable.

I suspect that you may have better luck with a thin rubber sleeve; perhaps a small rectangular piece of bicycle inner tube, just long enough to fully wrap round the end stub without overlapping itself. You'll need a stylus force gauge to accurately set the down force, as the rubber sleeve will lack the spiral groove of the original which a nub on the bottom of the end stub ran within. As such, I wouldn't bother balancing the tonearm; just push the weight on far enough that the headshell end feels close enough to a gram or two and then fine tune using something like the Ortofon or Shure balance scales.

Ta-Dah!
I pushed the button and Nottingham HiFi Centre are going to set it up for me, I am going to observe the process and hopefully pop my 'cart set-up' cherry by fitting the redundant goldring cart to whatever the arm is on the spare TT2.
Oooh, the anticipation is quite exhilarating.

I now have to have a conversation with the wife about 'who' pays for this tiny item.

I have purchased diamond rings for her in the past, this is rather like that. It does involve a diamond. My birthday is very soon. (hopeful)
Good news! It is comforting to know that there are still some helpful dealers about.

And here's hoping that your advance birthday wish comes true.;)

I am concerned.
This morning I took my deck to Nottingham HiFi and the ortofon 2m black is now fitted (after some considerable head scratching from the man in the shop)

I have now had a mail back from Mr.Arkless informing me that - the arkless turbo does indeed need 'loading plugs'
and
"IIRC the 2M Black also needs the internal loading caps removing. You can easily do this yourself with a little guidance (you'd have to ring me so I can talk you through it"

I have just got back from Nottingham HiFi and the deck was having its first spin with the new cart.

I have stopped this now with the info from Mr. Arkless - anyone know if I am doing any damage to the phono stage or anything else by using it?

I was under the impression from the responses to this thread that I can use it as it is??

any hints accepted - I have mailed Jeremy back asking whats what.
thank you.

"IIRC the 2M Black also needs the internal loading caps removing. You can easily do this yourself with a little guidance (you'd have to ring me so I can talk you through it"
I don't know what this means but it sounds like a very bad idea: when you've just had the cartridge fitted expertly, what you want to do is not touch anything!

He probably means the internal caps in the phono stage not the cartridge (carts don't have internal components like capacitors or resistors)

Using a different capacitance or impedance loading in a phono stage won't damage anything it will just change the sound.

If it sounds ok carry on using it until Jez clarifies the internal caps.

okay, Mr. Arkless has got back to me, I can use it. I am ordering the things/whatever they are.

Maaan, I have a sweat on now.

Ok, you have nothing to worry about then. I'm surprised you need loading plugs to alter the MM capacitance, but if it is going to give you the low capacitance that you need for the 2M Black then it is worth a try. But you haven't said how it sounds now? I think you should play some records and get used to it before you start changin the loading. It might be fine as it is.

If Jez or somebody else can say what the standard capacitance is for your Arkless phono stage, then people like Tony who have experiemented with the 2M Black can tell you how close to ideal your settings are currently.

As said up thread the standard is 100pF but they can be ordered at any value. For 2M Black the caps are removed altogether and loading plugs supplied which take the loading down to 33K. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ortofon-2m-black-frequency-response-charts.312499/
I've supplied a few set up thus and all seemed to like them:)

Well, I have just read all that stevehoffman thread and I can categorically state that I did not understand a word of it.
I can say though that the Arkless Turbo blew me away on first hearing, and still does - so if Jez advocates the loading plugs, I shall happily comply.

Ok, you have nothing to worry about then. I'm surprised you need loading plugs to alter the MM capacitance, but if it is going to give you the low capacitance that you need for the 2M Black then it is worth a try. But you haven't said how it sounds now? I think you should play some records and get used to it before you start changin the loading. It might be fine as it is.

If Jez or somebody else can say what the standard capacitance is for your Arkless phono stage, then people like Tony who have experiemented with the 2M Black can tell you how close to ideal your settings are currently.

Hello Mr. Ears.
There are 2 other issues.

1) I understand there is a running in period for the new cartridge/stylus.
2) My Roksan K3 Amplifier has gone back to Roksan as it has developed a crackle when turning the volume up/down. This problem is sporadic, and has happened before. I intend to make a thread about it when it is returned. So I am using my faithful Audiolab 8000a, (owned from new since 1994) therefore I do not wish to commit myself to a verdict on whether the cash has been well spent.

All that said - I can report a distinct difference in the sound, instantly more detail. A cymbol splash has more authenticity. I shall leave it at that for the mo. Until I have performed the alterations Mr. Arkless has advised, and I have got the loading plugs AND I have my beloved K3 back I shall be trying my best to keep schtum.

2M black excellent choice or Nagaoka MP500 if you like the sound of your 2100
Goldring 2000 series use the MP series Gubbins/internals

advertisement

Back