advertisement

SORTED. I need to connect my Zen Mini Mk3 to BT Broadband/router with an RJ45 or USB adaptor

Take a good look at tne application examples shown. It has many operating modes, including as an AP extender.

A BT wifi disc is a different beast, as it's a range extender.
Thanks again, Simon. I understand networks but not wifi, so need to do some more googling about the difference between an AP extender and a range extender.

Do you have personal experience of this device acting as I require mine to do = as an AP extender? Any issues or concerns?

Err clearly not wifi is layer 1 & 2 :rolleyes:
Obviously:rolleyes:. The OSI model was introduced in 1983 when wifi was not a thing and is independent of physical vs wireless connection.

I started this thread seeking advice on a very specific issue. If you have no personal experiences to add, I'd appreciate it if you could take your peevishness elsewhere. Thanks for your understanding.

What? it's radio, that's been around for a smidge before 1983

Once again your question has been answered numerous times, you just can't comprehend that answer.

What? it's radio, that's been around for a smidge before 1983

Once again your question has been answered numerous times, you just can't comprehend that answer.
:rolleyes:

I have asked for clarity about the differences between an AP extender and a range extender. I know the limits of my understanding. I am also aware of the history of radio :rolleyes:. Do you have anything more to say which might help me?

Your insight that Innuos won't let me use an USB dongle is invaluable. It was downhill after that. Perhaps you can go and get annoyed somewhere else?

if you have a mac to configure it, an Airport Express v.1 can be used to join a wifi network and share that connection via ethernet. I used that to connect my old Samsung Smart TV to wifi (it only had ethernet). Can get them for about £10 s/h.

If you contact Innuos the answer you will get will be “don’t use wifi. We don’t recommend it,” I’ve had a Zenith for three years and I’m still using a tiny and very cheap Vonets bridge/repeater which plugs into 4m of Chord C whatever and does the job just fine. I’m not sure what the rules are on links here but mine is a Vonets VAP 11N 300. Terrible power connector but, as I say, I’ve no complaints at all.

if you have a mac to configure it, an Airport Express v.1 can be used to join a wifi network and share that connection via ethernet. I used that to connect my old Samsung Smart TV to wifi (it only had ethernet). Can get them for about £10 s/h.
Excellent, I inhabit the Applosphere so this is great. Thanks Rob.

If you contact Innuos the answer you will get will be “don’t use wifi. We don’t recommend it,” I’ve had a Zenith for three years and I’m still using a tiny and very cheap Vonets bridge/repeater which plugs into 4m of Chord C whatever and does the job just fine. I’m not sure what the rules are on links here but mine is a Vonets VAP 11N 300. Terrible power connector but, as I say, I’ve no complaints at all.
Cheers Mike. This is the first device I came across. I hesitated because of mixed reviews re speed and dropouts, though there is a lot of room for user error in this space. Will check this out.

I’ve decided (overnight) to buy 20m of Cat 5/6 and to see whether I can feed it round the room unobtrusively eg. squeezed under skirting. One way or another I’ll get sorted. Thanks

I have one of these lying around somewhere:

NETGEAR WiFi Booster Range Extender | WiFi Extender Booster | WiFi Repeater Internet Booster | Covers up to 600 sq ft and 10 devices | N300 (EX2700) https://amzn.eu/d/azGVi8E

I used it precisely for the kind of thing you're talking about: my office pc didn't have a WiFi card for a while, so I plugged this gadget into an outlet, connected it to my WiFi (it is not a power line adapter), and connected my pc to the gadget via ethernet cable. Voila presto, connected to the source.

Would you like it?

So impressed with the PulseMini+LPSU that I have bought a Zen Mini Mk3+LPSU for my Kendal gaff. The Bluesound Node 2i has always been connected by wifi there as cables would be seriously long and seriously hard to install (I may look at optical in the medium term but my need is more pressing).

I need to wifi enable the Zen Mini which has USB and RJ45 ports and I want/need to do this next week so I can extract the Node 2i (which has sold) but leave the apartment with access to Qobuz/Radio Paradise.
  • I do not want to use powerline adaptors
  • I do not want to set up a parallel wifi network using paired devices (I want to stick with existing BT wifi)
Does anyone have any personal experience of wifi dongles which atttach to an existing network? With reliable connectivity and no bandwidth bottlenecks? I can google and eBay search like a ninja but it's still a minefield!

Huge thanks,

Nigel

I've mentioned this to you before, it has an Ethernet ouput (which I connect to my audio switch) and you can set it to receive only (disable extender).
It's essentially working like a Wi-Fi receiver car that connects with Ethernet.
Is that what you're looking for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725Y1VZ7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have one of these lying around somewhere:

NETGEAR WiFi Booster Range Extender | WiFi Extender Booster | WiFi Repeater Internet Booster | Covers up to 600 sq ft and 10 devices | N300 (EX2700) https://amzn.eu/d/azGVi8E

I used it precisely for the kind of thing you're talking about: my office pc didn't have a WiFi card for a while, so I plugged this gadget into an outlet, connected it to my WiFi (it is not a power line adapter), and connected my pc to the gadget via ethernet cable. Voila presto, connected to the source.

Would you like it?

I've mentioned this to you before, it has an Ethernet ouput (which I connect to my audio switch) and you can set it to receive only (disable extender).
It's essentially working like a Wi-Fi receiver car that connects with Ethernet.
Is that what you're looking for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725Y1VZ7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Just to confirm the device I suggested will work see the manual below. Page 14
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_8may2015.pdf

THANKS (that's a big thanks) one and all, some great suggestions (and an offer!) here.

I had a good think last night... I was avoiding this but now believe I can now make a (20m!) wired ethernet connection work (found a route for the cable) so I'm going to try to do this first. It avoids additional boxes and power supplies. I'll let you know how I get on and it's good to have a handful of Plan B's!

I'm sure this info will come in handy for others as it's not the rarest of situations. Will update thread title now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Cabling is definitely the best way to go but if you decide against it I use a TP LINK TL-WR902AC to connect my non-Wi-Fi Linn sneaky DS to my BT Wi-Fi network. It just plugs into the DS’s network port and once configured it just sits there and works. It needs the occasional reboot if it loses connection for some reason but is generally very reliable.

And a VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE for our collective enlightenment :)

Just for the hell of it, before I pack the Zen Mini into the car for its journey north tomorrow, I thought I'd try what I originally thought might work (ethernet ports being ethernet ports) but was persuaded yesterday that it would not. I powered down the Zen Mini and moved it to a temporary home. Wired it to the port on the back of my BT Wifi Disc (extender), powered it up, found it on MyInnuos... and played some music. This works exactly like I thought and hoped it would.

Buying a similar Disc for my Kendal pad was my Plan A. Plan A is now to go wired. If that doesn't work out, another Disc is my Plan B.

Now we know.

img_1831.jpeg

img_1832.jpeg

img_1833.jpeg

Cheers Mike. This is the first device I came across. I hesitated because of mixed reviews re speed and dropouts, though there is a lot of room for user error in this space. Will check this out.

I’ve decided (overnight) to buy 20m of Cat 5/6 and to see whether I can feed it round the room unobtrusively eg. squeezed under skirting. One way or another I’ll get sorted. Thanks

I would need about 35m as my router is upstairs whilst the streamer is down. The hassle would be something I’d consider if moving home but the disruption this would cause just doesn’t seem worth it.after some experimenting I also realised that having the Vonets as close as possible to the streamer produced audible noise but also massively improved sound quality. Mine is 4m away now. I’d put it back closer but would need a filter/switch or whatever ti make that practical. Honestly enjoying listening to music so much that I just CBA.

As regards the Vonets I can only speak to my own experience and obviously anecdote is not evidence but… My Wi-Fi speed is a steady 145. In three years I have had two major drop outs which required a reboot of the Vonets. Doing this via a PC was a PITA but I’ve now mastered doing it via my iPad in seconds. Their instructions are terrible. I’ve written my own. I don’t consider drop outs to be an issue at all. The bigger issue for me, and it may be just be the one in my possession, is that the power adapter cable slips out of the main box if you so much as mode it 1cm. Mine is now on the floor behind the left speaker and is fine as long as no fool (usually me) hoovers there. Done way more resets from that than Wi-Fi drop outs.

And a VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE for our collective enlightenment :)

Just for the hell of it, before I pack the Zen Mini into the car for its journey north tomorrow, I thought I'd try what I originally thought might work (ethernet ports being ethernet ports) but was persuaded yesterday that it would not. I powered down the Zen Mini and moved it to a temporary home. Wired it to the port on the back of my BT Wifi Disc (extender), powered it up, found it on MyInnuos... and played some music. This works exactly like I thought and hoped it would.

Buying a similar Disc for my Kendal pad was my Plan A. Plan A is now to go wired. If that doesn't work out, another Disc is my Plan B.

Now we know.

img_1831.jpeg

img_1832.jpeg

img_1833.jpeg
I was going to suggest that but thought I was not certain enough!

advertisement

Back